Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Got my new clutch in... What is the old one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got my new clutch in... What is the old one?

Installed my Tick adjustable/Monster level 2 kit this weekend, everything went pretty smooth. My car drives MUCH better. No vibrations (except from the exhaust), no grinding, goes into gear easy, and no noises. It was $1000 well spent, now I just have to wait for the ~500 mile break-in period to end so I can have some fun!

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-esbovjuh.jpg

For point of reference, the bronze bushing that was removed and replaced with the new pilot bearing. Isn't the ID of the bushing supposed to be close to the ID of the pilot bearing? This one wasn't even close...

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-ssrf5gxh.jpg

Anyways, I was wondering what the old clutch that I removed is? Also, what can cause the triangular-shaped hotspots on the flywheel? And what causes those springs to break like that? Pieces were falling out of the clutch disc.

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-f3zfuynh.jpg

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-afb3949h.jpg

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-38bg3gwh.jpg

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-nsejdnxh.jpg

Got my new clutch in...  What is the old one?-ebinuadh.jpg
Old 04-27-2015, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

broken springs happen for a lot of reasons, sometimes they just go for no reason lol, other times it may be abuse which by looking a that flywheel was going on a lot. The flywheel hotsport are normally caused by slipping the clutch, whether on purpose or it letting go on its own, but the position and shape of those spots is odd...... If we see the front of the PP we can better tell what clutch it is
Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earnhardt
Installed my Tick adjustable/Monster level 2 kit this weekend, everything went pretty smooth. My car drives MUCH better. No vibrations (except from the exhaust), no grinding, goes into gear easy, and no noises. It was $1000 well spent, now I just have to wait for the ~500 mile break-in period to end so I can have some fun!

For point of reference, the bronze bushing that was removed and replaced with the new pilot bearing. Isn't the ID of the bushing supposed to be close to the ID of the pilot bearing? This one wasn't even close...

Anyways, I was wondering what the old clutch that I removed is? Also, what can cause the triangular-shaped hotspots on the flywheel? And what causes those springs to break like that? Pieces were falling out of the clutch disc.
Thanks for purchasing a Monster, keep us posted.

When there is damage like this to the hub assembly or the damping springs, its due to excessive play in the input shaft. This is typicality either from a worn out pilot bearing, or input shaft main bearing.

Based on the photo of the old pilot bushing, its more than likely what caused the damage.

Did you have the input shaft check for damage or excessive run out when everything was apart?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

My car is coming apart next week and I expect to find a similar situation. Out of curiosity, do you have all of your dowel pins installed? Engine to bellhousing and bellhousing to trans?

Years ago I had a pilot bearing explode and chew up my input shaft. I had just spent every penny I had having the transmission rebuilt and couldn't have it down again to repair the input shaft so I simply installed a bushing and put it back together. It was a $4 fix and lasted me 50k miles, but the symptoms are returning so I'm going to replace the input shaft or have it repaired and go back to a pilot bearing once it's all fixed properly.

I think it all traces back to an alignment issue in my case due to not having the dowel pins installed. I just recently started a thread on the bellhousing to trans pin size but haven't found an answer yet.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like the old clutch was a Monster Level 1, from what I can tell comparing pictures.

All the dowel pins were in, so I think the input shaft in the larger ID bushing caused a lot of my problems. The input shaft itself wasn't too bad, but I just felt it with my finger. Didn't check for run out.

I think a previous owner put it through some abuse...
Old 05-02-2015, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya level 1 to me.

Quick Reply: Got my new clutch in... What is the old one?