Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Removal Question

Hi I am getting ready to pull my t56 out of my 1999 camaro. I know I need to pull the shifter, unhook the electrical connections and master cylinder line and then take out all of the bolts going into the bellhousing and then the transmission cross member. The dumbass that owned the car before me welded the y pipe to the long tube headers. No exhaust leaks but I really don't want to mess with getting it off. Do I need to take it off to pull the transmission? It is a 3" ORY

Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2015, 08:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a texas speed y pipe and I didn't need to remove my exhaust, but when I had my hooker y pipe that needed to come off. If your under the car is the y pipe under the trans at all? Does it merge behind the tail shaft? Just give it a look if your thinking it is then you probably need to yes. Also I have better luck removing the trans from the bellhousing. Then after it's out taking the bellhousing off. Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to pull the engine anyways so I'm going to unhook the headers from my heads and drop it down as one piece. Thanks for the reply though!
Old 05-04-2015, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro9781
I have to pull the engine anyways so I'm going to unhook the headers from my heads and drop it down as one piece. Thanks for the reply though!
Good luck with that. I don't see your headers clearing with the y pipe coming out the bottom. I think you'd be better off dropping the whole k member with engine and trans out the bottom as designed.

Quick Reply: T56 Removal Question