Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help me identify clutch failure root cause (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me identify clutch failure root cause (pics inside)

Hey guys. I've not dealt with many clutches over the years (only drive them, not had to replace many).

My LS1-RX7 has had this SPEC stage 1 clutch for 5 yrs since I finished my swap. Only has about 25k miles on it. I noticed one day (first few times out of winter storage) that it was slipping slightly in 6th gear (when I put my foot down at ~2000 rpm). I went out after work and confirmed it. Got it to slip in high gear once or twice differing by about 2500rpm from the 'road speed'.

I drove it again a hundred miles or so and it seemed to slip a it when cold but after warm it would seem to hold ok. It would barely slip in 6th by (slip about 200 rpm). Either way my Monster Stage 2 was on the way.

Well I have it apart now and trying to see what the root cause is. Some of the stuff I've noticed.

- The flywheel has some noticeable marks on 1/2 of it. Would that indicate an issue with the pressure plate and uneven pressure on the clutch disc?

- The clutch disc is worn smooth on both outside edges (facing the PP), but the center ridge still has texture.

Name:  20150508_2103411.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  569.8 KB

Name:  20150508_2103131.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  688.0 KB

Any ideas? Wanting to make sure I try to resolve the issues before reassembling everything

Also noticed the rear main seal was slightly wet with oil. There are no traces of oil dripping anywhere other than just wet at the bottom of the seal. But after some reading it looks like some folks claim the seal 'sweats' a bit. Not sure if its worth trying to replace it. You always hear horror stories of folks trying to change the crank seals and just making it worse.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 05-09-2015, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that pattern on the flywheel, I'd say it was not flat against the crank flange. Could have been a spec of trash between the mating surfaces, put it back on and check the runout. The rear main is a snap to replace...
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Centerforce have a Clutch Diagnostics Guide that might be helpful. It's intended for and has a lot of information on our specific clutches, but some of that info is applicable to clutches in general.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Help me identify clutch failure root cause (pics inside)