Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 "reverse fix" cause reverse gear failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 "reverse fix" cause reverse gear failure?

Recently I did the reverse gear fix on my T56. You shave .125 off of the front side of the reverse shift fork and put a .125 shim behind it to move it forward more. This did stop reverse from popping out of gear like it always did before. I put 10 miles on the trans like this and then the transmission locked up I tore it open last night and the caged bearing inside of the reverse gear is in a million pieces. The mainshaft is most likely toast to. I did flip the reverse gear synchro. I also put the transmission back together just like I had taken it apart. What could of cause this? Did the .125 that the "reverse fix" required crowed there reverse gear so much that it overheated the bearing inside reverse?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not knocking anyone here but, sounds like something happened on the reassembly. I did exactly what you did on the reverse fix but, added new blocker, fork pads and keys. Been a year and my reverse is slick as $#1+!! Spacing the fork forward shouldn't have anything to do with the bearing failure.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Not knocking anyone here but, sounds like something happened on the reassembly. I did exactly what you did on the reverse fix but, added new blocker, fork pads and keys. Been a year and my reverse is slick as $#1+!! Spacing the fork forward shouldn't have anything to do with the bearing failure.
Thats what I was thinking.Maybe I misassembled something. I thought I assembled it exactly how it came apart. I did replace a few snap rings. Regardless. I have to replace the whole main shaft, reverse gear, and reverse synchro assembly.

Quick Reply: T56 "reverse fix" cause reverse gear failure?