Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pressure Plate not Flush

Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Pressure Plate not Flush

I'm installing an LS7 clutch onto an LS7 flywheel. I verified the flywheel part number and it's correct (12571611).

With the pressure plate resting on the flywheel dowel pins, the pressure plate is not flush against the flywheel. I've given it a few blows with a rubber mallet but it seems it will need to be "pulled in" while tightening the pressure plate to the flywheel. I don't want to force anything.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Tipsy

Old 05-20-2015, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that's normal, think about how the clutch engages and disengages; Technically right now it's engaged, but since there aren't any bolts holding it tight to the flywheel, its not applying any force to the clutch. If it was flush, how is it going to sandwich the clutch against the flywheel tight enough to not slip?

Run up each bolt as evenly as Possible. I usually run up each bolt, then do half a turn on each one until they've reached. then torque them.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSingh90
Yes that's normal, think about how the clutch engages and disengages; Technically right now it's engaged, but since there aren't any bolts holding it tight to the flywheel, its not applying any force to the clutch. If it was flush, how is it going to sandwich the clutch against the flywheel tight enough to not slip?

Run up each bolt as evenly as Possible. I usually run up each bolt, then do half a turn on each one until they've reached. then torque them.
Thanks very much.

Tipsy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pressure Plate not Flush