Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do they make a trans mount in between factory and poly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Do they make a trans mount in between factory and poly?

So I currently have my factory original trans mount bushing and the shifter moves more than I'd like. I have poly engine mounts, so when I put in the poly trans mount, the vibration was just too much.

I'm sure my factory mount isn't what it was when new, but before I drop $100 on a new one, is there anything else out there as a replacement that isn't a poly bushing? Did they make a 1LE version?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Did they make a 1LE version?
IF they ever did, I doubt you can get them anymore, just like most other parts for these cars.

I also would like something 'in between' the stocker and the polys, but good luck in getting ANYONE to make one.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you use the poly mount and shim the trans crossmember the vibration will go away. I used 3/8 steel plate on both sides where the trans crossmember mounts to the body. Have done this to a bunch of fbodies
Old 06-06-2015, 07:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
If you use the poly mount and shim the trans crossmember the vibration will go away. I used 3/8 steel plate on both sides where the trans crossmember mounts to the body. Have done this to a bunch of fbodies
Interesting. I already have the poly trans bushing, I'll try shimming down the crossmember and see how it drives. Can't hurt.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you're getting a driveline vibration, then shimming anything is just band-aiding the problem: incorrect pinion angle. If you're talking about general vibration from a hard poly bushing, then stock is probably your best bet. Ive got poly and I don't particularly like it but I live with it because I never have to worry about it breaking.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

How is it a band aid if it fixes the problem? The poly mount is taller and makes the back of the trans sit higher and makes the pinion angle higher. Shimming the crossmember will bring it more in line with the pinion. Of course there will be additional noise and vibration that can be felt....its a stiffer mount made of polyurethane. Stock mounts may be quieter but are pretty sloppy. I dont like the feeling of my shifter jumping around. A poly mount was my first upgrade 12 years ago. That same mount is still in there with the same shims......20,000 street miles and 500+ passes and not a single problem.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Shimming is just "getting it close". Truly setting the pinion angle correctly needs to be done with an angle finder and an adjustable torque arm. Im not saying it wont work, but it probably wont be truly correct.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

What worked for me was to get some rubber washers from lowes that are about the size of the stock trans mount. Dropped crossmember, added 3/16" of rubber washers, reinstalled crossmember.

I have also done the poly with spacers method described above but found the rubber washer trick resulted in smoother feel overall

I used digital angle finder for both methods
Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
What worked for me was to get some rubber washers from lowes that are about the size of the stock trans mount. Dropped crossmember, added 3/16" of rubber washers, reinstalled crossmember.

I have also done the poly with spacers method described above but found the rubber washer trick resulted in smoother feel overall

I used digital angle finder for both methods
I measured the height of both stock and poly mounts and it was 3/8". Rubber is a good idea to help isolate noise.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
Shimming is just "getting it close". Truly setting the pinion angle correctly needs to be done with an angle finder and an adjustable torque arm. Im not saying it wont work, but it probably wont be truly correct.
I measured the height and was 3/8 difference. Solution... 3/8" spacer. And as far as pinion angle....what do you consider correct? I have measured several 4th gen fbodies that were completely stock and none had the same EXACT angle. I know i run mine at a angle that isn't the best for high speed cruising and i get more vibration.....but it works better for the drag strip.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

And just to note.....I did not use the plate that goes underneath the poly mount as well
Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 PM

I measured the height and was 3/8 difference. Solution... 3/8" spacer. And as far as pinion angle....what do you consider correct? I have measured several 4th gen fbodies that were completely stock and none had the same EXACT angle. I know i run mine at a angle that isn't the best for high speed cruising and i get more vibration.....but it works better for the drag strip.
You're right they are all different. I was trying to get the trans output shaft angle equal to the pinion angle.

If trans angle is higher, then adding shims under the mount reduces the trans angle AND increases the rear pinion angle. Both relative to the earth.

If trans angle is lower, shimming between frame and cross member will increase trans angle AND decrease pinion angle.

Unless you're on the strip, making them equal is usually best. We both did the same thing - adjusted our cars to suit our needs. Only difference was the starting points and end goals.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
You're right they are all different. I was trying to get the trans output shaft angle equal to the pinion angle.

If trans angle is higher, then adding shims under the mount reduces the trans angle AND increases the rear pinion angle. Both relative to the earth.

If trans angle is lower, shimming between frame and cross member will increase trans angle AND decrease pinion angle.

Unless you're on the strip, making them equal is usually best. We both did the same thing - adjusted our cars to suit our needs. Only difference was the starting points and end goals.
Thats exactly what I tried to do as well.......put the back of the trans as close to the original height as i could. Typically when I've run spacers the angle is the same with the poly mount as the stocker. If the back of the trans is too high or low a adjustable torque arm won't even be able to correct the angles in the driveline.

There are people running all different angles and if it works for their set up so be it.....
Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So I currently have my factory original trans mount bushing and the shifter moves more than I'd like. I have poly engine mounts, so when I put in the poly trans mount, the vibration was just too much.

I'm sure my factory mount isn't what it was when new, but before I drop $100 on a new one, is there anything else out there as a replacement that isn't a poly bushing? Did they make a 1LE version?
Bolt the engine in solid, then the standard rubber mount will be fine.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Bolt the engine in solid, then the standard rubber mount will be fine.
^^^This was a question I asked a while ago, but nobody had an answer (i.e.; do poly MOTOR mounts help 'save' the stock rubber trans mount due to less; torque twisting, and stress transfer, than stock rubber motor mounts??)
Old 06-12-2015, 05:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^This was a question I asked a while ago, but nobody had an answer (i.e.; do poly MOTOR mounts help 'save' the stock rubber trans mount due to less; torque twisting, and stress transfer, than stock rubber motor mounts??)
Havent a clue.

I bolted my engine in solid 15 years ago when I had the Rover V8, and when I fitted the LS1 about 13 years ago, bolting it solid was just the easiest thing to do.
When clearance is tight, solid ensures it wont move !

I did buy a poly mount for the T56 at one point, but no idea how the **** they were selling it for a T56, because it was nowhere near a replacement for the rubber one, so I just left the rubber in place.

But yes I can imagine that the less movement the engine has, the easier things will be on the trans mount.

I would not bolt the trans in solid though, chassis twist will result in something breaking.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have never had a problem with my rubber mount after I replaced it. Rock auto has an oem style one for 45 bucks btw, good quality as well. I had an energy suspension one and hated it, my buddy runs the prothane which tends to be a little softer than an energy suspension one and his isnt bad so you may want to look into that.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

For the record, I do have poly motor mounts, which help, I just think the factory, 15 year old rubber mount is done. I'll try mounting the poly mount this weekend with proper spacers, if that doesn't make me happy, I look into getting a new factory one from Rock Auto.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I don't know about saving the mount, but I do know a ton of guys, including me, run this config
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even after shimming my ES one still sucked but my buddies prothane went right iin and is pretty nice after break in. I'd still prefer stock though. I got a new oem rubber one 4 years ago from rock auto and it still looks perfect as of last week when i pulled the drivetrain. I have poly mm;s as well

Quick Reply: Do they make a trans mount in between factory and poly?