Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch and pedal question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and pedal question.

Hello everyone.

now that my engine is running strong I started dealing with new issues and there's one about the clutch that I can't get to fix.

As there was no bearing in my crank tail, my transmission, and clutch had damage.

I picked up my old T56 from a 94 LT1 and switched the needed parts from the LS2 one to acomodate the LS setup, and a friend sold me an standard used clutch set from a 2010 Camaro (complete with flywheel, clutch and pressure plate). The pressure plate and clutch disc looks the same. the flywheel from the LS2 seems a little taller.

I also had the master cylinder installed on the car, from the LT tranmission, I took it to a shop and made the connection between the hose from this system, to the slave cylinder from the LS.

Clutch works fine... until I push the engine harder.

Let's say I do a hard pull on third, fourth and fifth gears.. then sixth gear won't engage and the pedal feels soft and unresponsive. I have to pump it a few times for it to start working again.

I have checked for any leaks but can't find any, also I have bleeded the system and changed the fluid for a different one with same response.

any ideas welcome.

LS2 swap from a 2006 GTO.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Sounds like the master cylinder. I suggest contacting Tick performance for one of their master cylinders.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Sounds like the master cylinder. I suggest contacting Tick performance for one of their master cylinders.

Any other ideas?, I installed this master not so long ago and it worked perfect before the LS2 swap (I had the LT T-56 bolted to a sbc engine before).

also the problem is only when I make a hard acceleration, even if I do a hard pull only in fourth, I can feel the pedal softer after that.

I just don't want to buy another master (which are not cheap by the way), just to see the problem is still there.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by V8Torrent
Any other ideas?, I installed this master not so long ago and it worked perfect before the LS2 swap (I had the LT T-56 bolted to a sbc engine before).

also the problem is only when I make a hard acceleration, even if I do a hard pull only in fourth, I can feel the pedal softer after that.

I just don't want to buy another master (which are not cheap by the way), just to see the problem is still there.
Other idea is that the pressure plate may not be putting enough pressure on your slave cylinder, so then not returning fluid to your master quickly enough, which is making it feel soft. The stock LS engine pressure plates have an adjusting mechanism that is known to cause weak fluid return. If you're running a used stock clutch, that's your next likely culprit.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Other idea is that the pressure plate may not be putting enough pressure on your slave cylinder, so then not returning fluid to your master quickly enough, which is making it feel soft. The stock LS engine pressure plates have an adjusting mechanism that is known to cause weak fluid return. If you're running a used stock clutch, that's your next likely culprit.
Thanks for your time, as I had to work on my column last night, I took a good look at the master cylinder and it looked "ok", but I pressed the rubber seal and it was full of fluid, so you got it right the first time.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM

That's good, because it's much easier to replace the master than to drop the transmission. I would suggest looking into a tick performance master rather than another stock replacement. I went through three stock masters and finally sprung for the tick, but it has turned out for the best.

The tick is very expensive compared to stock - like 5x the price, but you're paying to never have to replace it again.

It's a pain to get in under the steering shaft, and you'll have to learn how to drive again, but when you're done, you'll have all the creamy shifting goodness you never had. For all the mods I've done to my car, this is still one of my favorites.

Quick Reply: Clutch and pedal question.