Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 trouble

Have a 02' SS, 6spd T56, fresh stage 2 rebuild. Maybe 5-6k miles on it, car only has 35k orig miles total. Few days ago I started feeling a kind of rotating/circling vibration through the shifter/stick. Next day I was riding down the highway about 64mph as usual on cruise control in 6th, & suddenly the car red lined out of no where. I shifted to neutral, then 5th, & back into 6th. Still same feeling through shifter. Arrived to my destination a few miles after that w/out another issue except wasn't going through the gears as smooth as normal. Got in the car to head home, got down the highway about 4 miles, & it redlined again on cruise control. This time it wouldn't go back in 6th at all, & would only stay in 5th if I held the shifter in place (shifter wouldn't go as far forward as usual). Had to go 50mph the remaining 5miles home. Has anyone else had this issue or know what the problem may be? I hardly know a thing about the internals of transmission, but was thinking maybe 1 of the shafts may of broke? I'm fairly easy on the car, never ran DR's or slicks yet, no burn outs, etc. Only ever get on it from a roll as it currently just has 20x11 CCW 505A's out back w/rubber band INVO's. Thanks for any info or input.

(car is H/C/I 460rwhp 418ftlb, SPEC III clutch, Moser 9" w/4.30s)
Old 06-18-2015, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the car speeding up when it "redlined" or was it simply revving up freely?
Old 06-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Revving up freely, felt like I floored it in neutral.

Quick Reply: T56 trouble