Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problems with grinding gears after Monster clutch and Tick MC

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with grinding gears after Monster clutch and Tick MC

I recently put a lq4 in my 97 z28. I converted the lt1 t56 to ls1. Installed a monster stage 5 clutch with tick master cylinder and new slave cylinder. I have bled the clutch 3 times, and continue to play with the pedal adjustment. The tranny was fine when I took it out, but now it grinds while going into each gear like it has bad synchros. Something tells me that its not the synchros because as I said, the tranny had no issues prior to swap. What is going on here?

Last edited by rossi89; 06-24-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive bled the clutch 3 different times and have adjusted the MC. My clutch pedal is slightly lower than the brake pedal right now. Maybe I'll try bringing it out flush with the brake pedal. I thought it was a disengaging issue so today I tried a few different things. The car goes into 1st and reverse without issue. I can rev the engine and it will still very easily go into gear. The car doesn't move while reving in gear. This makes me think its not a disengaging issue.

I have driven a few other heavy duty single disks before, and this stage 5 just doesn't feel right. I can slip the clutch and it feels almost easier to drive than the factory clutch. A heavy duty single disk is usually like an on/off switch and doesn't like to be slipped. This has me thinking something goofy is going on.

I'm going to try and jack the rear up and see if I get any wheel movement while in gear. I have heard this is the best way to see if clutch is fully disengaging. Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this issue?
Old 06-24-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Slightly lower than the brake is typical. Be careful going higher than the brake.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi89
Ive bled the clutch 3 different times and have adjusted the MC. My clutch pedal is slightly lower than the brake pedal right now. Maybe I'll try bringing it out flush with the brake pedal. I thought it was a disengaging issue so today I tried a few different things. The car goes into 1st and reverse without issue. I can rev the engine and it will still very easily go into gear. The car doesn't move while reving in gear. This makes me think its not a disengaging issue.

I have driven a few other heavy duty single disks before, and this stage 5 just doesn't feel right. I can slip the clutch and it feels almost easier to drive than the factory clutch. A heavy duty single disk is usually like an on/off switch and doesn't like to be slipped. This has me thinking something goofy is going on.

I'm going to try and jack the rear up and see if I get any wheel movement while in gear. I have heard this is the best way to see if clutch is fully disengaging. Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this issue?
I believe you talked to Jacob about this issue. Keep us posted and let us know if you need any help.

Quick Reply: Problems with grinding gears after Monster clutch and Tick MC