Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Stuck in 3rd gear?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Stuck in 3rd gear?!?!?!

So this happened to me twice and I have no idea what happened, if I need to address it, or if I have cause for concern.

I was doing a 30 roll with a buddies 15' 5.0 and the car when 1-2 fine, but when I went 2-3 the shifter got stuck (pretty solidly) in what looked like 3rd, but the engine was free revving. I Pulled the shifter back to the neutral position with a lot of effort. I was reluctant to tug on it but it eventually went back into the neutral position and everything was like normal after that.

The car drives fine and I can hit 3rd 9/10 times. That being said, I powershift (no lift shift) every gear other than 3rd because it isn't as positive feeling as the other gears.

Do I have cause for concern? I am running a MGW shifter and, if it matters, I am running a brand new LS7 clutch, and tick master cylinder due to slipping LS6 clutch and the HIGH RPM shifting issue we are all too familiar with. It doesnt do any of those things anymore but I was concerend about it sticking in what seemed like 3rd even though the trans was not in gear (free spinning engine).

The ATF is still cherry red and looks brand new. Any ideas? Should I be worried?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone have the same issue or know what happened?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like you prbably crunched a slider key. the key is what guides the synchro slider over the hub and onto the gear. when you power shift hard like you are they can get crunched and damaged causing the shifter to stick in gear like you experienced. Pulling it back out probably un jammed it but it will probably get worse as time goes on.

Start planning for a rebuild now and get billet keys when you do. that ls7 clutch certainly isnt doing your trans internals any favors though either weighs over 60lbs..
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
sounds like you prbably crunched a slider key. the key is what guides the synchro slider over the hub and onto the gear. when you power shift hard like you are they can get crunched and damaged causing the shifter to stick in gear like you experienced. Pulling it back out probably un jammed it but it will probably get worse as time goes on.

Start planning for a rebuild now and get billet keys when you do. that ls7 clutch certainly isnt doing your trans internals any favors though either weighs over 60lbs..
I'll start saving my pennies. I just reacted buying it because the 6 month old LS6 clutch before it was slipping pretty bad over 4K RPM on occasion.

Are you suggesting a lighter clutch when the trans is rebuilt?

Quick Reply: Shifter Stuck in 3rd gear?!?!?!