Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Fluid Pump Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default T56 Fluid Pump Installed

As some folks may know, I got my car back together with the rebuilt engine a few months ago. The car was tuned on the dyno and participated in the LTxTech dyno day taking home the people's choice award. I took the car for its first maiden voyage and when attempting a quick shift to 4th while at WOT, the car didn't want to go into gear. I was able to get it back home thankfully. To make a long story short, the trans was hurt and needed to come out. Keep in mind this was a Tick Level 3 build with all the "fixins".

I decided to use Hanlon in eastern PA to do the rebuild. When everything came apart, it was confirmed both front and rear bearings were toast. My countercluster had seen better days and everything in the front of the trans showed a lot of heat related wear. This was likely due to hard acceleration where fluid goes to the back of the trans. The blocker rings were also worn. He replaced all of the hard parts that were hurt or didn't look perfect with new. I do track the car and enjoy my highway shenanigans. To keep this thing alive, Hanlon installed fitting at the front of the trans to implement a fluid pump system. I purchased a pump kit from him which isn't vehicle specific. It includes a pump, small cooler, and filter. I don't think I really need the cooler but in general it can't hurt. Room under the car is not at a premium so with the help of a few very good friends, the system was installed this past weekend.

There are still a few items to tidy up but overall I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out based on the available room under the car. Better yet, nothing leaked after doing all the AN lines. I bought some overpriced tools to make the job easier which I think were actually worth it. I used a couple Jiffy Tite fittings as well to make servicing a bit easier should the trans need to come out again (sad that I plan for that right?). The pump will be triggered off of my hobbs switch so when I hit 4lbs of boost, the 2nd fuel pump and the new trans pump will turn on. I will likely wire in a dedicated switch at some point for track days.

Yes, the lines are crossing each other but it couldn't be helped since the pump in/out can't be reversed.
Name:  0703151636a_zpsk6octhvj.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  180.8 KB

The blue painters tape will be removed....
Name:  0703151635a_zps7rlxm3eu.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  154.1 KB

Jiffy Tite quick disconnect fitting. When you disconnect the line, fluid will not come out. Another is placed on the line going to the fluid filter.
Name:  0703151641b_zpsyytrnuw1.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  378.3 KB

Wiring still needs to be tidied up.
Name:  0703151640a_zpstry8acie.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  160.3 KB
Old 07-03-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like a nice install to me, like you say the room you have under a fbody is juss wonderful lol. I should probably put one on my car, might be a good wintertime project.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
That looks like a nice install to me, like you say the room you have under a fbody is juss wonderful lol. I should probably put one on my car, might be a good wintertime project.
Thanks! I'm currently looking for a better way to mount the fluid filter. I found a couple nice brackets but need to keep searching around.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Where is the actual nozzle pointing ? looks very high ?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Where is the actual nozzle pointing ? looks very high ?

The pic may be a bit deceiving. It's an inch or so above the fill port which will work just fine. This is where he puts it for all T56 with very good success.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is all this costing you roughly? I have my trans/engine out of the car, and im seriously debating this.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Biggest cost is the pump and hoses, depending on type of hose you use.

You could easily be into a few hundred dollars though
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigBadWhitey
Out of curiosity, what is all this costing you roughly? I have my trans/engine out of the car, and im seriously debating this.
The pump, filter and cooler were about $500 if I recall. The lines and fittings were another few hundred bucks. The Jiffy Tite fittings alone were $130ish. I likely could have gotten away with just the pump, skip many of the fittings and done this much cheaper but I figured going a bit overboard can't hurt. I wasn't ready to plunk down the big bucks for a Magnum just yet so hopefully this lasts a while.

Quick Reply: T56 Fluid Pump Installed