Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Abnormal rattling noise when foot off clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Abnormal rattling noise when foot off clutch

(Copy & pasted from corvette forum)

Took my car out for test hits on fuel problem up top. Did 3 rolling pulls car ran fine. Went under a tunnel and figured do another "hit" ha well shift from 2-3. 2ns spun and shifted to 3rd no problem and hooked pretty good. As soon as clutch was released from 3rd to put it neutral a loud rattling noise came from car.

Pulled over, turned off car, checked under car and no leaks of anything no broken hanging parts I could SEE. Said hm weird, turned it over again and when clutch is pressed in rattling goes away. When clutch is depressedloud rattling comes back. Called a buddy to come trailer my car home and clutch felt ok maybe a little "lighter" if that's makes sense and it went through first no problem. Car did start to roll but would jerk back and forth and I would take it out of first right away. So it semi rolled under its own power.

Thought DS couplers instantly. Well took everything and inspected them today and they are both near brand new.

Not sure what else is causing noise? Slave cylinder? Throw out bearing? Clutch?

Mods: built lq9, stage V t56 and mallet 3.73 with RST McLeod clutch. Any thoughts?

8/8/15
I have since replaced the throw out bearing yesterday due to everybody telling me that's what it was. Well I did and THAT DIDNT FIX IT!!!
I know the t56 rattles a little bit this is not the normal rattle. LOUD Rattle. I jacked up rear of car, turned on, shifted into 1st and wheels do spin but it still rattles when in gear. Any gear. I have no trouble shifting into any gear. Frustrated on spending money on parts that don't fix the problem. As any car enthusiast can agree.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The neutral gear rattle is pretty common on these. And that often translates to more noise at higher rpms in higher gears too. Could be that you popped something a bit that made the base line noise much more obvious. Any additional looseness in your trans input shaft (or input bearing), clutch (springs, mass balance), or even the shifter itself could be causing this. Any imbalance will be magnified right up through the shifter into your right ear. You can try taking the **** off the shifter and working down from there. Does the rattle get noisier or go away in neutral as you rev it up past 2000-2500 rpm? It wouldn't have been the T/O bearing as that should make noise with the clutch pedal depressed. Neutral rattles tend to be magnified by stronger engines and clutches. If this was the first time you did a strong acceleration in a tunnel I can see the rattles being amplified right back to you.

The fact that you're feeling something odd in 1st gear is of concern. My T56 has an obvious neutral rattle that intensifies in 2nd and 3rd. But I hear it in all gears. It quieted down by 50% when I silenced the shifter handle further...though still there. Probably would be inaudible if I re-installed a stock shifter.

Something coming loose or a bit of imbalance in that clutch could do this. That imbalance would be magnified up through the shifter. If it's a fresh clutch set up it would seem a stretch that a spring or something gave way.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-08-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Yes I have read that it is common for the rattle in the t56 to rattle. I had open headers after I installed driveline in to see if the TOB worked and you could still hear the rattle. It was never this loud before my incident under tunnel. I don't think they're any springs on the RST clutch from McLeod. Just fingers around pressure plate. But no this is not my first hard acceleration under tunnel and I do abuse it here and there.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

I do appreciate your help though. Thanks. Anymore suggestions or ideas and help is great

Quick Reply: Abnormal rattling noise when foot off clutch