Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Old 09-24-2015, 05:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
So lets discuss this thread pitch idea. If we were to change the handle to something like an M16-1.5, would that make everyone a little happier? The thought behind this is if you wanted to use our ball you would get 9/16-18, and if you wanted to use stock or other branded ***** that fit you would have the option to buy it with a M16-1.5 handle. Keep in mind this would take a few weeks to make the handles and powder coat them, but if it solves some of the problems you have expressed it would be worth it. Give me some feedback. AND DISCUSS.
I think it would be beneficial for you guys to offer it threaded in both configurations.... one of your competitors does that.

I currently have 3 different ***** that I switch out from time to time, and all of them are the factory M16x1.5 thread. One of them is a C6 alcantera **** that's been rethreaded to fit my shifter.... that one alone was $120, so yeah, I'd rather have one that works with what I have. I prefer leather or fabric covered ***** over glass or metal ones.

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
I would prefer not to have to track down an adapter to use my preferred shifter handle which has the OE thread pitch.

I think it would make more sense if you are selling a product for an fbody that it would be able to utilize a fbody shift ****
Very true, but the other option is a C5 thread pitch, so that's an option.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I think it would be beneficial for you guys to offer it threaded in both configurations.... one of your competitors does that.

I currently have 3 different ***** that I switch out from time to time, and all of them are the factory M16x1.5 thread. One of them is a C6 alcantera **** that's been rethreaded to fit my shifter.... that one alone was $120, so yeah, I'd rather have one that works with what I have. I prefer leather or fabric covered ***** over glass or metal ones.

Very true, but the other option is a C5 thread pitch, so that's an option.
I appreciate the feedback. I spoke with our machine shop manager yesterday and we are working on getting a production run scheduled for the M16-1.5 threaded handles. This will allow y'all to run the stock **** or various other ***** on the market. It will be weeks, not days, but we hope to have this option sooner than later.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Can I get the first one?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well I just pulled the trigger, and will do a full review of it when it gets here.

I have a Kirban shifter (not Kurt Urban) circa 2001 and while I like it, it's not great. The new Hinson shifter I'm sure will be a huge improvement.

I plan to get a tap and rethread my shiftknobs. A tap is cheap.
Yes, also subscribing for a review, and I also want to be able to use my M16x1.5 threaded LGM delrin shift ****.

You do know that Kirban was/is a locally (Plumsteadville) based company, correct??

Even though they no longer offer ANYTHING for 4th gen f bodies.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes, also subscribing for a review, and I also want to be able to use my M16x1.5 threaded LGM delrin shift ****.

You do know that Kirban was/is a locally (Plumsteadville) based company, correct??

Yes, I know that they are local. Back in 2000'ish, when I wanted a shifter, I actually went to the local speedshop that was in Horsham, behind the Wendy's, and bought the shifter there.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Also, once I get it in, I can meet up with you if you want to check it out.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this uses bellville washers? It looks very similar to the McLeod shifter.

Why no dust boot covering the pivot mechanism?
Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by drain89
I'm sure the available B&M/Hurst dust boots will cover the raised pivot section IF Hinson does not have one available.

I just ordered and installed the B&M one on my Pro 5.0, since the one it came with was torn/weathered to shreds after 15 years of use.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It looks like a quality product. I always wanted a McLeod but couldn't find them anywhere so I went with an MGW. I wish this had been an option at the time.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:25 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I got my shifter yesterday and it looks and feels nice. I hope to get it install this week and have videos and my impressions by the weekend.

As for the handle and shift *****, it's amazing what a little electrical tape can do. For now it works fine.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Looking forward to your review. A new shifter and can really change the driving experience.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Can I get the first one?
Originally Posted by dailydriver

GOOD NEWS! M16-1.5mm handles started production today. We hope to have some finished up by the first of next week. Order your shifter today and put in the order notes you want a M16-1.5mm handle and we will ship it as soon as they are available.

Originally Posted by drain89
So this uses bellville washers? It looks very similar to the McLeod shifter.

We do use bellvilles and there is an internal boot to keep the trans fluid in and debris out. We use a shorter ratio stub, as well as a larger stub than other brands. We also use a stub that is able to narrow the gate between gears and a pre-load that is heavy enough to find the next gear, but not so heavy you can't daily the shifter comfortably.

I got my shifter yesterday and it looks and feels nice. I hope to get it install this week and have videos and my impressions by the weekend.

As for the handle and shift *****, it's amazing what a little electrical tape can do. For now it works fine.
Looking forward to your review. We know you will enjoy it.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

glad to hear the factory **** can be used ill prob get back with you this week that was my biggest hang up on trying this that I kept going back and forth on.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
glad to hear the factory **** can be used ill prob get back with you this week that was my biggest hang up on trying this that I kept going back and forth on.
I had it on my list to contact you today and let you know that we were doing this. Seems to make everyone a little happier. I'll look forward to talking with you.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:24 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well reach out to me Blue99fbody (it's Ray right)... I'll give you my impression and thoughts when I get it in.

I'm on facebook as well... Brien Laswell.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

Interested to here the reviews. Looking to replace my 10 year old Hurst. How do the throws compare to MGW?
Old 09-30-2015, 07:23 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I haven't gotten it installed yet, most likely tonight, but we have hurricane Joaquin headed towards us this weekend, and they are calling for rain for the next 40 days and 40 nights, so hard driving videos may wait.... the car doesn't do so well in rain.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Man.. that looks just like a Mcleod to me.
Attached Thumbnails New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available-mcleod-t56-shifter.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

im just curious how this does compared to a mgw shifter as the mgw is considered the best shifter for our cars out there. I have the mgw and have no issues with it .
Old 09-30-2015, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

In for reviews as well. I just recently upgraded my stock one to a 5.0 and I'm not impressed at all. Doesn't feel any different than stock and hasn't improved hard shifting, if anything its worsened it I feel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available