Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by blk00ss
That's odd. They seem to think different lol. Here's a direct quote from an email about your shifter...

"Physically there is nothing different or better one way or the other. The McLeod one is Red and the Hinson one is a private label and black. That is the only difference."
The Qwik Stik on ebay looks identical too.

But black is nicer lol
Old 02-02-2016, 08:08 AM
JP
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk00ss
That's odd. They seem to think different lol. Here's a direct quote from an email about your shifter...

"Physically there is nothing different or better one way or the other. The McLeod one is Red and the Hinson one is a private label and black. That is the only difference."
Either way, Hinson is making a great product and provides great services for fbody,gto and corvette enthusiats.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Our shifter uses a unique preload value for better shifting, incorporates a proprietary stub design (ie, shifter ratio for shorter throws), an offset handle position to center the shifter in the console, and includes a handle of your thread choice. While they are similar in appearance, they are far from the same in performance. The product is truly a HINSON design.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HINSON Motorsports
Our shifter uses a unique preload value for better shifting, incorporates a proprietary stub design (ie, shifter ratio for shorter throws), an offset handle position to center the shifter in the console, and includes a handle of your thread choice. While they are similar in appearance, they are far from the same in performance. The product is truly a HINSON design.
There's only a spherical bearing and stacks of concave (bellville) washers located on a cross shaft in there on the stub for the mechanicals of it, depending on the material and source of the washers I can see a slight difference in preload, but I don't see where that would differentiate it in overall operation vs the McLeod. McLeod does offer the offsets as well, so that's moot. I personally prefer the UMI stick drilled out to 3/8" and bolted to the straight up stub vs an offset stub. But that's a personal preference thing and moot as well.
Explain to us more about the shifter ratio, I and others on here would like you to validate that statement. I have a McLeod that I sourced from Tick. I see no visual mechanical difference in any of the pics of that part vs mine including this stub difference you speak of. I do see you offering a shifter that IMO looks aesthetically better because it's black, comes with a choice of straight or offset, and thread options, and the convenience that you purchase it in finished package from one place with not having to buy a separate stick and drill it to modify. There is a market in that, but I don't see where it's accurate to say that your shifter is better than one that has been available for years now by numerous vendors on the right of our screens in which yours is a mechanical clone of.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will say that this design is better than any of the other offerings on the market. Especially the MGW! If you and/or McLeod want to improve the design it's my recommendation that you put some kind of dust boot or seal over the open part of it so road grime and moisture can't get down in the shift mechanism.
I also recommend offering something like the gaskets and isolators like cobrabob makes to isolate the shifter from vibration and noise. Especially for people using these in a daily driver.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by drain89
I do see you offering a shifter that IMO looks aesthetically better because it's black, comes with a choice of straight or offset, and thread options, and the convenience that you purchase it in finished package from one place with not having to buy a separate stick and drill it to modify.
I think that proves that they are not the same, even if they offer similar features. Given the geometry of the car/transmission, laws of Newtonian physics, and the similar functional features, it shouldn't be surprising that they would have a similar form factor.

Originally Posted by drain89
There is a market in that, but I don't see where it's accurate to say that your shifter is better than one that has been available for years now by numerous vendors on the right of our screens in which yours is a mechanical clone of.
Well, we have a thread here... with numerous esteemed members swearing that the Hinson shifter is the bee's knees and comparing it to what has been widely considered to be the gold standard in shifters. The McLeod shifter does not have the same level of testimonials behind it, (nor does McLeod even list the part on their website) so the Hinson assertions may stand until proven otherwise.

BTW2 - If anyone would like to submit a set of shifters to the moderators for objective comparison and destructive testing, they will be accepted. (But not returned.)

Last edited by wssix99; 02-02-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Before with my Hurst Billet Plus and after with my new Hinson shifter. Must say this product is well worth the money. No complaints over here

Old 02-09-2016, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002ArticWhiteSS
Before with my Hurst Billet Plus and after with my new Hinson shifter. Must say this product is well worth the money. No complaints over here

Is that the newer offset one?
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yotaman96
Is that the newer offset one?
Yes it is
Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 AM
Launching!

I've been checking out this thread for a while. This shifter looks great, but is a bit expensive for my taste at the moment. I have the stock shifter on my '95 Z28, and I rarely miss shifts with it. Maybe 5 times in three years and 20,000 miles worth of driving.

I'd really like to upgrade to something that has good street manners, and my buddy recommends that I find a factory Hurst that he has on his '97 SS. Definitely an improvement over my stocker.

I'd really like to find something that is nice for casual driving and won't regret spending $$$ on. Anyone have any feedback/videos on how the Hinson does during casual driving?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Teching In

I'm sure the other people that bought the Hinson will agree with me but I thought the shifter was just fine for casual driving as well. If anything I'd say it's like driving a corvette now instead of a Fbody just because of how much shorter and more comfortable the throw is compared to the long lanky throw Fbodys usually
Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 PM
Launching!

It seems like a great product. I never drove a manual 'Vette, so I don't know what that feels like! Maybe I'll consider picking up one of these in a few years when I can afford it. I'd really like to feel more F body shifters. I'm thinking right now the best way to break myself into a short shifter from stock is to go with a Pro 5.0, but I haven't felt anything other than my stock one or the factory Hurst.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yotaman thanks for the opportunity to work with you and the post. Shifter and that **** option look great in the car.

Nickster, our shifter is great for daily driving and weekends at the drag strip. The best way to get into the shifter world is to buy the right one the first time. Why spend money twice for the same part regardless of what it is. Do it once and go with the best. Get yourself a Hinson. Don't just take our word for it, look at guys like Ray (99bluefbody) he took a Pro 5.0 out of his car and put ours in because it was a better all around unit.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yotaman thanks for the opportunity to work with you and the post. Shifter and that **** option look great in the car.

Nickster, our shifter is great for daily driving and weekends at the drag strip. The best way to get into the shifter world is to buy the right one the first time. Why spend money twice for the same part regardless of what it is. Do it once and go with the best. Get yourself a Hinson. Don't just take our word for it, look at guys like Ray (99bluefbody) he took a Pro 5.0 out of his car and put ours in because it was a better all around unit.
Wasn't me. I just quoted a pic. I want one, just waiting a bit.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 PM
Launching!

It looks like a great quality part. I'm tempted to just skip the other options, and go for this one, but that won't be for a while yet. Maybe my decision will be made if I happen to meet someone who is using one. Got some saving up to do though! Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Definitely wish I would have went to this shifter sooner! The quality of this piece is second to none.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

So the offset handle centers the shifter like the stock hurst shifter? Mgw 1st gear is where 3rd would be. Does the off set handle fix this where 1st is 1st feeling?
Old 03-08-2016, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely wish I would have went to this shifter sooner! The quality of this piece is second to none.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post and the great feedback.

Originally Posted by TexomaMan_X2
So the offset handle centers the shifter like the stock hurst shifter? Mgw 1st gear is where 3rd would be. Does the off set handle fix this where 1st is 1st feeling?
The offset design of our shifter does fix the awkward location of 1st gear in this car. I locates it closer to the driver where it should've been to begin with.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default Shifter offset

So I decided to make some small adjustments to the F-body shifter. It now will come with a 1" offset to the driver side of the car for a more comfortable position to the driver. Here are a few shots to illustrate.

So this is exactly what I was asking about on post 76 page 4. You told me to mount the handle closest to the drivers side. It already is! How do I get this offset since the shifter I was sold does not have it and sits offset to the right?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeff morgan
So this is exactly what I was asking about on post 76 page 4. You told me to mount the handle closest to the drivers side. It already is! How do I get this offset since the shifter I was sold does not have it and sits offset to the right?
There has been a couple of different versions since this shifter came out. If yours doesn't have the offset like in the photo then you have the shifter that was version 1.0. The only difference is the offset handle.

Quick Reply: New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available