Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad 2nd gear or Synchro???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad 2nd gear or Synchro???

Hey everyone, just picked up my 98 trans am ls1/t-56 the about a week ago. I'm told it has a Tick Performance stage 2 transmission and a stage 2 clutch. Other than Konni fully adjustable rear suspension, it is essentially stock. The car has 144,000 miles on it and have no idea when the transmission was installed. I noticed that the downshift between 3-2 would grind and had a hard time going into 2nd or even staying there. 1-2 was just fine, no issues. Yesterday, I took it for a drive, warmed it up and stopped to do a launch. Dumped the clutch in first, spun, went to grab second and the shifter physically went into second, but there was nothing there. No pop, bang or clunk. I idled back down and slowly tried to go into second and I still had nothing. Every other gear works fine, limped it home going first to 3rd. I'm new to the t-56, not very keen on transmissions in general, but am trying to determine what needs replacing when I pull the tranny. I'm most likely going to have a shop do it around here, had both 4-speed's rebuilt by a guy locally for my dad's 69 Chevelle and 68 Mustang GT.

So to reiterate, the shifter goes into second as if you were sitting with the car off, just shifting through the gears, but all it does is rev when its running and will not go in. With the upgraded tranny, being able to hold 650 lb/ft and the wheels, I cant fathom why 2nd gear would be wrecked when I am only pushing maybe 330 lb/ft to the wheels at most with the current tune.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Ryan
Old 11-25-2015, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Advice....take it apart.

If you're saying there is no drive in 2nd gear, but it appears to actually select 2nd gear, then the box needs to come apart, although it is a little odd.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a quick vid of what it's doing
http://youtu.be/EBL8fSIJzuE

QUOTE=stevieturbo;19053310]Advice....take it apart.

If you're saying there is no drive in 2nd gear, but it appears to actually select 2nd gear, then the box needs to come apart, although it is a little odd.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

It's odd, but it would almost seem it's rung the teeth off 2nd gear, or damaged the synchro teeth/slider so much that it cannot transmit any drive. Either that or the mainshaft/gear splines that secure the gear

It looks like the selection action is ok and normal movement so unlikely to be a selector or fork related issue.

It needs to come apart.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:20 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're in for a new 2nd gear, maybe synchro too.

Tick may have supplied some parts but someone else did the build and left 1st design 2nd gear in.

There are some "4 speed guys" who will miss a few things on a T56; hope you get a good builder.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
You're in for a new 2nd gear, maybe synchro too.

Tick may have supplied some parts but someone else did the build and left 1st design 2nd gear in.

There are some "4 speed guys" who will miss a few things on a T56; hope you get a good builder.
The Tick stage 2 build does not consist of an upgraded "viper" 2nd gear. Unless the build was upgraded in the options listed. So most likely might be a Tick stage 2 but the previous owner had shallow pockets and decided to stay with the old design 2nd gear.

Basically what you said JMD.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

2nd gear going bad is common if its been beat on.

I rebuilt a T56 for a guy that said he had no 2nd gear.... and said no debris came out when he drained the fluid.... upon tear down.... there were no teeth left on it! They did collect on the 2 magnets in the trans so at least they did their job.

Plan in 2nd gear and the 1-2 synchro most likely
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed - the early style 2nd gears are notorious for shearing the engagement teeth off. It happened to my 1998 SS Camaro before I had the guys here at Tick do a rebuild on it and we've seen it countless times in transmissions that come into us. The Viper 2nd Gear is a huge upgrade.

Quick Reply: Bad 2nd gear or Synchro???