Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch or trans going out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my clutch or trans going out?

Car is an 02 Z28 has a relatively brand new 6.9 LQ9 engine from TSP, with all the goodies. in it maybe put 2k miles on it in 2.5 yrs ago. About a year before that I put a monster brand clutch with new slave and what not and the clutch is rated at 700rwtq or a bit more i think and i was having problems with the trans, it needed some new forks, pads, and gears oh and syncros because some symptoms similar to the ones below were happening but i dont think I remember the grinding noise, so clutch and trans done at the same time

I had some trans parts replaced from tick performance. And it was cleaned out. But its not BEEFED up and Im now making 550+rwhp na.

So a few month ago I noticed that "grinding" type noise like something is moving even when the car is still. Its coming from below the shifter like trans/clutch area, but I can feel it through the shifter itself

when the car starts its fine, but when it warms up at a certain point , its hard to shift gears. I get locked out of some completely like 2nd, 3rd and or 4th especially, but sometimes I can't get in ANY gear. When I try to put it into gear it grinds/chatters whatever that noise is it does.

but when I turn off the car wait a few mins and start it up everything is fine!

The grinding metallic type noise doesn't happen either until once the car has been driven for about 10 mins or more. Oh and when going in reverse I always have to give it more gas than usual or it will pop out of gear.

Im guessing its the trans, my car is not a track car, but I do go WOT here and there with it

any ideas? I am going to have it checked out, but Im hoping its not the trans due to the cost. and if it is, then im going to look into a nice tremec but it will be a little while

thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? If so maybe the throw limits became out of whack. When the car is stilling still do you hear the grinding while in neutral or is it in gear with the clutch disengaged?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sargen
Do you have an aftermarket shifter? If so maybe the throw limits became out of whack. When the car is stilling still do you hear the grinding while in neutral or is it in gear with the clutch disengaged?
yeah i have a pro 5.0 shifter. the grinding happens only when the clutch is disengaged and sometimes in neutral. especially when im trying to shift into a gears.

but it never seems to happen while in gear.

but if its the shifter... how would turning the car on and off affect it when it get stuck? there are no wires or anything electric going through it. just wondering
Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Some of this might be air in the system and/or a bad slave cylinder. But you have bigger problems if it's popping out of gear because air in the line or a dying slave cylinder won't do that.

Is it hard to get into gear? When was the fluid changed and bled last?

I don't believe it's your clutch, it's in the transmission itself. We need more information.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by loser98
Some of this might be air in the system and/or a bad slave cylinder. But you have bigger problems if it's popping out of gear because air in the line or a dying slave cylinder won't do that.

Is it hard to get into gear? When was the fluid changed and bled last?

I don't believe it's your clutch, it's in the transmission itself. We need more information.
All fluids involving the trans and clutch were put in new at the same time the trans and clutch went in which was about 3 years ago.. the clutch and tranny have maaaybe 2500k miles on them... I hardly drive the car at all.

and yeah reverse pops out. The other gears not really, they are just hard to actually get into and sometimes I get locked out of some or all the gears. but turning the car on and off works for a bit, until it happens again

Quick Reply: Is my clutch or trans going out?