Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Monster slipping @4k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Monster slipping @4k rpm

Got a new motor and new Monster stg 2 installed with new lightweight flywheel and gm slave. About to the 500 mile break-in point and the clutch slips at anything over 4k rpm. When this happens the pedal feels like its stuck part way down but comes back up when letting off the gas. Any ideas on whats not right?
Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Sounds like a bad master if the pedal isn't returning on a new clutch. If you stick your foot under the pedal and pull it up, does it quit slipping?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Havent tried that. I'll find out. There was a little gunk residue in the master reservoir. Would a flush perhaps help? Is it common for a new gm slave to be bad?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turboost
Got a new motor and new Monster stg 2 installed with new lightweight flywheel and gm slave. About to the 500 mile break-in point and the clutch slips at anything over 4k rpm. When this happens the pedal feels like its stuck part way down but comes back up when letting off the gas. Any ideas on whats not right?
Give us a shout, so we can help trouble shoot.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:00 PM

Havent tried that. I'll find out. There was a little gunk residue in the master reservoir. Would a flush perhaps help? Is it common for a new gm slave to be bad?
not common at all. If SNL has offered to help, you should take them up on it. FWIW, the salve doesn't provide the return pressure for the master - the pressure plate does.

A flush MAY help but I doubt it. Did you do the drill mod on the master? That restrictor can cause this kind of symptoms.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Teching In

A shop installed it so I doubt they did the drill mod. When I bought the clutch I was under the impression nothing special was needed for it to perform. I'll hit up SNL to see if they have any suggestions. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a master cylinder issue. Does it have any other symptoms ? Drill mod or the tick adjustable master cylinder. I love my tick adjustable master I only wish I'd had it sooner.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Teching In

First off, I would like to apologize for the title. I shouldn't have said the clutch was slipping without knowing for sure that's what it was. I should have referenced how it was acting and not stating something I was not sure of. When I reread the title it seems to point blame which is not what I was doing.

I did contact SNL about the issue. I really felt it was something around the clutch and not necessarily the clutch itself which is why I didn't contact them initially. Steve had me do some troubleshooting. Pulling from 30mph in 4th gear up to 5k rpm it didn't slip at all. We talked some more and he thought it seem like my tires were spinning which I originally thought was the case but the speedo wasn't climbing while this happened. I only have street tires, so nothing sticky. I went ahead and lowered the tire pressure and now I can consistently pull to 5k rpm before the rpms starting dancing. I'm going to play with them some more when is warms up.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to keep everybody updated and not mislead anyone. Clutch is holding good and I just underestimated what it takes to put the power of the new motor to the ground. Thanks Steve and everyone else for the help.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off, I would like to apologize for the title. I shouldn't have said the clutch was slipping without knowing for sure that's what it was. I should have referenced how it was acting and not stating something I was not sure of. When I reread the title it seems to point blame which is not what I was doing.

I did contact SNL about the issue. I really felt it was something around the clutch and not necessarily the clutch itself which is why I didn't contact them initially. Steve had me do some troubleshooting. Pulling from 30mph in 4th gear up to 5k rpm it didn't slip at all. We talked some more and he thought it seem like my tires were spinning which I originally thought was the case but the speedo wasn't climbing while this happened. I only have street tires, so nothing sticky. I went ahead and lowered the tire pressure and now I can consistently pull to 5k rpm before the rpms starting dancing. I'm going to play with them some more when is warms up.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to keep everybody updated and not mislead anyone. Clutch is holding good and I just underestimated what it takes to put the power of the new motor to the ground. Thanks Steve and everyone else for the help.
That's what's great about Steve & SNL - he isn't one of those Vendors who automatically goes into butthurt mode the minute a thread is created potentially questioning his product(s). He genuinely care that the client receives a quality product at a reasonable price for all parties involved.

I've ran his clutches in my car for the past few years and don't intend on going anywhere else.

The 6 speed 1/4 mile record holder runs one of Steve's clutches - technically two if you take into account Ray's broken his own record on two different Monster units. I think that pretty much says it all...

Consistent products, consistent customer service, consistent results.

Glad to hear you seem to have your issue sorted out.

Last edited by Rare96LT1Formula; 01-19-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:10 PM

That's also really cool of you to try to make it right. Maybe on of the mods will fix the title or something.

Quick Reply: New Monster slipping @4k rpm