Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch, noise, shudder, driveline shudder? monster stage 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch, noise, shudder, driveline shudder? monster stage 2

Hoping for some help here fellas,

Just installed a Monster stage 2 with 28lb flywheel, tick master, new GM slave, pilot bearing, speed bleeder line, and ARP bolts.

Shim measurements: A 2.30, B 1.95

I added a Tick performance Shim .180 per monsters advice during install.
Measure b after shim 2.14
So 2.30-2.14=.160 gap

Problem: Clutch noise and vibration is most noticeable when clutch pedal is being released (lifting clutch pedal) when in gear. Only tried first and reverse so far and only put half mile on car since install. Noise seems to be coming from front and vibrating through shifter?

Clutch was properly aligned, and torqued with red loctite in sequence to monsters install instructions. Flywheel bolts had sealant and red loctite per monsters instructions.

Seems to shift smoothly and fine. Tick Master is adjusted about 1/2" below brake pedal.

Any ideas? Pilot bearing? Everything was super clean and clean with brake clean prior to install, so fluid contamination is unlikely. Normal friction noise that will go away with break in?

Youtube link : Please see around 1 minute mark, 1:20 minute mark

Thanks

Last edited by 02SOMSLP260; 01-27-2016 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Double checked torque specs on everything; trans, bell housing, torque arm, trans brace and exhaust brace.

Also driveshaft was torqued to specs and was properly lined up with marks taken before removal.

Dropping transmission again to check pressure plate, flywheel, pilot and slave is last resort.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 AM
Teching In

One thought,

Trans to bell housing had a small gap upon install. I cheated a little and used the bolts a little to pull trans together.

Wonder if I may have done something to pilot bearing during install?

Also one slave bolt hole was stripped so I used a helicoil kit, but properly torqued to spec after, so loose bolts are unlikely.

Completely stumped. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

using the bolts to pull it could have done something, but others have done that as well. FWIW, someone posted a trick to crack the slave bleeder open before installing the trans so that the slave compresses easier and allows the transmission to go all the way in.

When I first installed my monster, I got some pretty severe chatter - which is what it sounds like you're describing - where it shudders during engagement, and especially when trying to feather the clutch. I had over greased the ARP bolts. When I started up, the grease flung all over the place. After a few hundred miles, it finally burned off and the chattering got much better. Never completely went away, but that was a S3, not a S2.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
using the bolts to pull it could have done something, but others have done that as well. FWIW, someone posted a trick to crack the slave bleeder open before installing the trans so that the slave compresses easier and allows the transmission to go all the way in.

When I first installed my monster, I got some pretty severe chatter - which is what it sounds like you're describing - where it shudders during engagement, and especially when trying to feather the clutch. I had over greased the ARP bolts. When I started up, the grease flung all over the place. After a few hundred miles, it finally burned off and the chattering got much better. Never completely went away, but that was a S3, not a S2.
Thanks for the tip and info. I'm pretty sure I had the speed bleeder line cracked during install and it wasn't much of a gap though. Maybe 1/4 inch?

Clutch engagement during feathering describes it best or at least when it's most noticeable.
I'm going to double check the y pipe support brace next to see if it's exhaust noise related; As monster and tick suggested.

If that doesn't work I'll put some miles on it and see how it goes.

Last resort is checking for fluid contamination and pilot bearing issues.

I appreciate all the help so far. Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

You've got the gist. Also check your tail shaft mount nut. I've left it hand tight before
Old 01-27-2016, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
You've got the gist. Also check your tail shaft mount nut. I've left it hand tight before
Fixed! Took y pipe support brace off and test drove car. Noise is gone. So it was an exhaust rattle. So happy I don't have to drop transmission again.

Quick Reply: New clutch, noise, shudder, driveline shudder? monster stage 2