Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder lasted 40 miles? HELP!

Old 01-28-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave cylinder lasted 40 miles? HELP!

Hey Guys
First post here on LS tech. Unfortunatley its not a good one...
I just finished my Ls1+T56 swap on my 1998 BMW M3. Went about 40 miles until something bad happened. BTW those 40 miles were epic. What a machine!

Car drove and shifted fine for about 40 miles. I was cruising at about 40mph, went to upshift from 3-4, clutched in and terrible noise from the trans tunnel ensued. Car would not switch gears. The shifter lever was in N, but car felt like it was still stuck in a gear and the car was engine braking to a stall with the clutch pushed in. Car stalled. I went to restart (pedal feels fine), and clutch in. Car starts no problem. Clutch out, car stalls. Lever still in N. What could the issue be?
I have a brand new ACT stage 2 clutch and Vorshlag slave cyl. I did notice while idling in N, the throwout bearing was a little noisy, and went quiet when I would clutch in. Then again, car was shifting fine, and the interior is gutted so extra noise all over the place. Not to mention this was her maiden voyage, so I don't know whats normal and whats not.

I am putting my money on a bad slave. My setup was not shimmed. I never measured or even knew about that until I started doing research on this. Is it possible that my setup needs a shim and this was a result of not running one? Or perhaps a faulty slave and TOB from vorshlag?

Any help would be great! I will most likely pull the trans this weekend and inspect the carnage.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update-

Car moves only in 4th. I think it is an internal trans issue. Gears 1-3 when engaged will make the car stall. Any ideas!?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slave cylinder lasted 40 miles? HELP!