Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lets hear some recommendations on my next clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Lets hear some recommendations on my next clutch.

So the Ram power grip HD gave up the ghost last summer and the car has sat since may of 15. Finally have the $$$ to replace it so I got her up on the lift today and pulled the trans out and this is what I found.

So any recommendations on my next clutch ? Looking at the Mcleod twin disk, not sure on the RST vs RXT ? Or the Monster twin disk, again not sure on the LT1-SC vs LT1-R ? Also I am going to redo everything new balanced flywheel, adjustable master and slave.

This is a STREET car 99% of its life, so I would like this to be a smooth as possible with out sacrificing any performance in the gripping department. Little about the car, 383ci Procharged LS1, just a little over 600hp at the wheel. I still have the same cam from the 347ci and about 11,000 rpm left in the blower. Plan is to swap a cam better suited for the 383ci and max out the D1 head unit. Hoping to be in the 750-800 RWHP mark up here where planes fly. So I want a clutch that can take some more power down the road too.

So lets hear it guys/vendors ??? Also any tax refund sales going to be starting soon ? I have a few months before the snow melts so I don't need to buy right away.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm close to 600 rwhp and run the RST. For a street car I think it's a great clutch
Old 01-30-2016, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That clutch was slipping and generated some huge heat, looks like it may have welded itself at least once.

600HP?

I would call my friends at 10,000 RPM and have them hook you up.
They custom make light weigh clutch assys that will hook up huge amounts of power.
http://10000rpm.com/

That said you need to look at your install and driving style to make sure outside factors did not contribute to that failure. Binding linkage, incorrect TO bearing, damaged trans nose, incorrect adjustment can also cause what we see here.

Slipping the clutch excessively or intentionally you will quickly kill just about any clutch you stick in it. You need to get off the clutch pedal and modulate the throttle for traction not slip the clutch.

Especially burnouts just dump the clutch with enough throttle and rpm to shock the tires and get them spinning. You cant ease out the clutch for a burnout it will smoke the clutch.

A multidisc clutch will take more abuse and more friction area means less spring pressure needed and less stress on linkage etc.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

If you have the budget for it, RPS twin carbon disc. Extremely high heat tolerance, able to handle 750 HP and feather it onto a trailer. Light weight at 33 pounds, frees up some throttle response.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Act twin or single for the money is where it's at. Local, rebuildable, and many options.

I blew up two Mcleod twin units in just several hundred miles, I'd consider passing on them.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Buy the lightest clutch you can afford.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If you have the budget for it, RPS twin carbon disc. Extremely high heat tolerance, able to handle 750 HP and feather it onto a trailer. Light weight at 33 pounds, frees up some throttle response.
X2 nice product. If I hadn't of just bought a monster s2 I think I would have gone with a lighter twin disc.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I called RPM trans out of Indiana; they make some mean trannys. They recommended Monster LT-1R and were adamant about it... I like the Mantic but RPM knows Trannys so you got to wonder about those LT-1R's
I'm at 650rwhp plus 300 shot...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RixTrix
That clutch was slipping and generated some huge heat, looks like it may have welded itself at least once.

600HP?

I would call my friends at 10,000 RPM and have them hook you up.
They custom make light weigh clutch assys that will hook up huge amounts of power.
http://10000rpm.com/

That said you need to look at your install and driving style to make sure outside factors did not contribute to that failure. Binding linkage, incorrect TO bearing, damaged trans nose, incorrect adjustment can also cause what we see here.

Slipping the clutch excessively or intentionally you will quickly kill just about any clutch you stick in it. You need to get off the clutch pedal and modulate the throttle for traction not slip the clutch.

Especially burnouts just dump the clutch with enough throttle and rpm to shock the tires and get them spinning. You cant ease out the clutch for a burnout it will smoke the clutch.

A multidisc clutch will take more abuse and more friction area means less spring pressure needed and less stress on linkage etc.
Thanks for the link I'll check them out. You are correct, I was giving the car some hell that day and then threw a burnout in the mix. I slipped the clutch by accident and welded her together. Life lessons i guess

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Buy the lightest clutch you can afford.
Originally Posted by 02SOMSLP260
X2 nice product. If I hadn't of just bought a monster s2 I think I would have gone with a lighter twin disc.
Thanks for chiming in on the light weight clutches guys.
Thanks for the RPS recommendation "Darth" I had a nice conversation with Tom at Carolina clutches this morning about the street twin full carbon setup. Probably my new #1 choice at this time. We talked about the light weight disks as well... Learned a few things today.

Originally Posted by hrlyhnx
I called RPM trans out of Indiana; they make some mean trannys. They recommended Monster LT-1R and were adamant about it... I like the Mantic but RPM knows Trannys so you got to wonder about those LT-1R's
I'm at 650rwhp plus 300 shot...
Thanks for the link I'll give them a call and see what they have to say.

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Act twin or single for the money is where it's at. Local, rebuildable, and many options.

I blew up two Mcleod twin units in just several hundred miles, I'd consider passing on them.
Sucks to hear you had problems with the Mcleod, do you know why you had trouble with 2 different units ?

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm close to 600 rwhp and run the RST. For a street car I think it's a great clutch
Thanks for the input, your 1 of many that like the RST.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ACT twin....I've had Rxt and Fidanza flywheel, Ram Powergrip, Textralia Exo-skel. And most all my buddies have an RST or an RXT. We are all boosted, when behind their cars, one the hits, I smell clutch, on my RXT with e.t. streets......slip. Textralia was a holding ****, but pedal was a biotch.....I restacked it till I was down to the rivets, and just switched to an ACT twin.......WOW........36lbs of pure butter. NO chatter, super smooth, and a light/stock pedal. I wanted a SPEC mini twin, but I was above the power ratings, so I went this route. Glad I did.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

We run Mcleod clutches in all our high HP builds.... 1000rwhp-1200rwhp+. At your power level if you don't drag race a ton and launch it hard... just get the RST if you are on a budget. The RXT will take more abuse and doesn't really have more pedal pressure compared to the RST. Both drive awesome. Never had any issues with them.... pushed them to over 1200rwhp in 5th gear at 195mph+
Old 02-17-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I ended up going with the RPS full carbon street twin, should have it early next week. Hopefully this clutch is everything everyone says it is... This thing was not cheap.

Quick Reply: Lets hear some recommendations on my next clutch.