Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone running an ACT clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running an ACT clutch?

I've done a forum search, and hadn't seen too much on it. My brother and alot of his SRT4 buddies are running that clutch and they swear by it, and looking up reviews, I've seen alot of positives. Though nothing on LS cars. Probably for a reason.

Yes, I've seen alot on Monster during my searches here, but I have a friend who had a terrible experience with them, and I've veered away from them due to the customer service he experienced. But if people can sway me otherwise... I've also been looking at Mcleod clutches.

Here's the ACT clutch & lightweight flywheel I've been looking at:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ac...hdss/overview/
http://www.advancedclutch.com/600585

Now the price isn't too bad for both clutch/flywheel. But if I can get any opinions, that'd be great! And yes, I have done some forum searching, and I have seen alot of good regarding Monster. And yes, I'm willing to spend good money on a nice setup. I am running a Tick Adjustable Master, and I'll be installing the tick slave when I do the clutch.

By the way, the car is a "soon-to-be" Heads / Cam '00 WS6 (street / auto-x / strip)
I've got all the parts, just gathering the time to put it all together soon.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I've their twin organic on mine, and for most part it's been very good. I've had to adjust their floater lift bolts a couple of times, oddly not to their instructions either. But other than that it's held more power than it's rated for, drives super smooth and works fine.

Also used their singles on some Subarus, and again they seem to perform fine. Only thing that seems common...they do achieve high torque ratings, but it seems to come from heavy covers and lots of clamp, which translates to heavier pedal than some other might have.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ACT makes good stuff, they have good support, and are rebuildable. Unless buying some ultra exotic stuff, they're a good choice. I've been part of many ACT twin installations. I'd rather an ACT on my car over the usual here any day of the week

I'd be careful with aftermarket hydraulics, don't want to over exert stuff too much. I've seen aftermarket hydraulics damage slave cylinders and clutch units.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^Yes, when I spoke to ACT's tech, they suggested a latter, OEM GM master and slave with the drill mod already done new, or an older one with just the drill mod.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^Yes, when I spoke to ACT's tech, they suggested a latter, OEM GM master and slave with the drill mod already done new, or an older one with just the drill mod.
Smart move. Measure clearances, if all good, this would be the way to go in most cases.

Quick Reply: Anyone running an ACT clutch?