Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

99 T/A reverse lockout problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 T/A reverse lockout problem

When shifting 4 -> 5 at high speed/rpm it doesn't lock out reverse. On a few occasions it's let the shifter go to reverse, it doesn't engage obviously, just grinds horribly. My uncle even said, after I did a flyby, he saw the reverse lights come on. When it happens I have to be super careful, like, I feel/hear the grind, I immediately clutch in and throw it in nuetral, but even for a few seconds it easily allows the shifter all the way to the right, so i literally have to search for 5th. It works fine in normal conditions. Can't engage reverse with car off; engages reverse fine when needed; blocks reverse in normal 4 -> 5 shifts at highway speeds. Only happens at 'racing' speeds/RPMs. Is the solenoid going bad? I don't think I'm just powering through the solenoid. Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to the Manual transmission section.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The solenoid shouldn't be energized unless the car is stopped or running very slow (like 4 or 5 mph) as it reads from the VSS. I'm doubting that you are muscling it as its a two handed operation and unless your arms are built like the hulk you shouldn't be able to do such at high speeds.

So the question seems to be if and why is it energizing at full throttle?

If you have access to HP tuners you can check when the computer activates and see if there is anything there, otherwise its just tracking down the culprit for making it go live.

Was this a stock m6 or an installed m6?

Quick Reply: 99 T/A reverse lockout problem