Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 one time issue. Grind in 4th 5th and 6th

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 one time issue. Grind in 4th 5th and 6th

Something strange happened to me the other day and wanted an opinion. I was driving a high mileage T56 that has been great for years. So off we go, on about the 4th move through the gears from a dead stop, when I go into 4th (driving normally) it goes in fine, clutch is up, but then after about a second grinds for another second and then it's fine. I shift to 5th and it does the same thing. 6th same thing.

Next light I hit, I run through all the gears and it did it only in 4th. Next time it was fine. I've put about 500 miles on it since then with no issues, every kind of driving, city, highway, country, lots of WOT. Flawless. Trans fluid was replaced last year with 3 quarts of old Dex3 and one old quart of M1 ATF. And it drove perfectly like it always does. Clutch has about 60k on it. I know this car so well that if I want to I can drive it around without pushing the clutch down for up or downshifts.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

...all you can do is keep an eye on it...I used to go through synchros regularly and it always started with an intermittent grind when first going in gear... I eventually had Tick do a Level II rebuild...

Quick Reply: T-56 one time issue. Grind in 4th 5th and 6th