Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 auto to manual worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 auto to manual worth it?

hello fellas. I've searched this topic but most info is like atleast 7+ years old and was t very specific about it

I'm currently being offered a vehicle swap. My 2000 camaro ss 6 speed for a 2000 c5 AUTO. Now I did a manual swap on the camaro. The camaro is my toy. I would love to have a vette, but not an auto. I want my toy to be a 6 speed. I mean , that's why I made the conversion in the first place.

Now my question to you is, how complicated is the auto to manual swap in the c5? Is there a huge list (and expensive ) of parts to obtain? If the conversion is reasonably doable money wise and obtaining parts isn't so difficult , I may consider the vehicle swap with the conversion in mind. From information I've read on here is that RPM would be the best to do this since they offer credit from the auto stuff, but their in Indiana and I'm in SOCAL. Anybody know know if there's a reputable shop that offers this in Southern California? Thank you for your time and for whatever help you Can give me. Truly appreciate it
Old 01-21-2017, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Well I guess I found an answer

http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/97-0...flywheel-used/

Definately more doable than I thought! It's probably missing a couple of things like manual console and the obvious pcm flash. Wiring and sensor wise, anybody know what I would need?

Last edited by 96darkhorse; 01-21-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

probably a lot of people who have manual C5's would trade you cars for an A4. Be a lot cheaper in the long run
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more expensive than your 2000 camaro M6 swap for certain. At least vette t56s are cheaper since Vettes are literally the only thing the MN6 are good for
Old 01-21-2017, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

that hawks kit has their kit priced a few bucks more than what I got my t56 parts for. So that's not bad at all.

Yeah it would definately better and cheaper if I would trade auto vette for manual. But that's easier said than done, unfortunately. But I can always try
Old 01-23-2017, 02:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is all that stuff used? If it is I'd pop open the torque tube and look at the couplers and bearings and see if it has any input shaft wobble.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96darkhorse
hello fellas. I've searched this topic but most info is like atleast 7+ years old and was t very specific about it

I'm currently being offered a vehicle swap. My 2000 camaro ss 6 speed for a 2000 c5 AUTO. Now I did a manual swap on the camaro. The camaro is my toy. I would love to have a vette, but not an auto. I want my toy to be a 6 speed. I mean , that's why I made the conversion in the first place.

Now my question to you is, how complicated is the auto to manual swap in the c5? Is there a huge list (and expensive ) of parts to obtain? If the conversion is reasonably doable money wise and obtaining parts isn't so difficult , I may consider the vehicle swap with the conversion in mind. From information I've read on here is that RPM would be the best to do this since they offer credit from the auto stuff, but their in Indiana and I'm in SOCAL. Anybody know know if there's a reputable shop that offers this in Southern California? Thank you for your time and for whatever help you Can give me. Truly appreciate it
any updates you can share?

parts list?

photos?

looking to do something similar.

hopefully it was successful

Quick Reply: C5 auto to manual worth it?