Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

loose 5-6 vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default loose 5-6 vibrations

I have been fighting high speed vibrations ever since I did my ls swap in my car. I'm on my 3rd driveshaft with no change. I just installed a new pst 3.5"aluminum shaft with chromoly slip yoke and pinion yoke and the vibes stayed the same.

Tonight I pulled my t56 out and sure enough the 5-6 is loose. you can wiggle it back and forth and slide it right off. its starting to wear into the splines on the main shaft also.

The trans was just gone through less then 1k miles ago because I got screwed when I bought this transmission in "Good working condition" and everything inside was shot, including 2nd gear and every synchro assembly. Anyways, either the main shaft got overlooked or it wore out since then.

Do I just need a new main shaft and 5-6 gear? are there upgraded versions and where should I be buying them?

Does this look like a factory tail shaft bushing? It doesnt look great and there is a wear mark in one spot on it but it doesnt feel overly sloppy in the car. you can wiggle the slip yoke a little bit when installed.

Name:  t56mainshaft_zpss4odb8mb.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  t56outputbushing_zpslb7lve7o.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  190.1 KB
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Texas drivetrain used to offer slightly oversized countrshafts for that 5/6 problem. You'd have a slight press fit. There was also at one point an upgrade with splined shaft and cluster but I don't know if it's still available

Did you have the driveshaft vi ration thread? I was remembering something like this in the gears forum and thought maybe to ask
If the vibrations are gear related
Old 02-06-2017, 12:12 AM
9 Second Club

I just have been posting in my thread looking for a driveshaft recommendation. I thought i was getting vibrations from my driveshaft or pinion angle, but I'm pretty confident this is the issue.

I'm not sure if tdp could fix my shaft because the splines are getting messed up.

I think AMP carries replacement main shafts and 5-6 gears?

I was thinking of changing the output bushing also and it looks like amp offers a drop in replacement instead of using the rockland gear no walk bushing.

With a new main shaft I will need to re set the end play, but what about my countershaft, should I need to mess with that at all or leave it shimmed the way it is? Transmission works flawlessly, just getting the vibrations.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The repair of the journal will work on that shaft.

If it went together 1,000 miles ago, you went to the wrong builder. That's long- term wear.

The output bushing is a PITA because of the oil grooves. Don't assume they're drop-in for 27 spline apps. The only thing you need from Rockland are their directions to install the yoke into a new bushing with force and rotate it to let clearance happen. Your casting may or may not take a new bushing without extra work.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:28 AM
9 Second Club

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252327053952?_...68&_mwBanner=1

That's the bushing I was looking at. I'm guessing they are new because the only ones I have heard about are the rock land or using a turbo 350 bushing. I'll call tdp and ask about the shaft today.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadbowtie86
I just have been posting in my thread looking for a driveshaft recommendation. I thought i was getting vibrations from my driveshaft or pinion angle, but I'm pretty confident this is the issue.

I'm not sure if tdp could fix my shaft because the splines are getting messed up.

I think AMP carries replacement main shafts and 5-6 gears?

I was thinking of changing the output bushing also and it looks like amp offers a drop in replacement instead of using the rockland gear no walk bushing.

With a new main shaft I will need to re set the end play, but what about my countershaft, should I need to mess with that at all or leave it shimmed the way it is? Transmission works flawlessly, just getting the vibrations.
We do carry new output shafts and 5/6 cluster gears if you decide to go that route. It will give you peace of mind with new parts instead of a repair to your parts.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/252327053952?_...68&_mwBanner=1

That's the bushing I was looking at. I'm guessing they are new because the only ones I have heard about are the rock land or using a turbo 350 bushing. I'll call tdp and ask about the shaft today.
These are brand new bushings we had produced specifically for the F Body and Cobra applications. They are identical to the original bushing used in the Tremec housing.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AMP-D
We do carry new output shafts and 5/6 cluster gears if you decide to go that route. It will give you peace of mind with new parts instead of a repair to your parts.

These are brand new bushings we had produced specifically for the F Body and Cobra applications. They are identical to the original bushing used in the Tremec housing.

Can the new bushing be pressed in just using a socket/no special tools? or is it super tight like the turbo 350 bushing and tend to deform/crumple?

How much are your main shaft and 5-6 gears?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can the new bushing be pressed in just using a socket/no special tools? or is it super tight like the turbo 350 bushing and tend to deform/crumple?

How much are your main shaft and 5-6 gears?
It isn't the turbo 350 bushing. Its T56 specific. I suggest freezing it in the freezer for an hour before installing it. This will shrink it enough to drive it in with minimal damage. I would also suggest using a bushing driver instead of a socket.

As for the other stuff, shoot me a message and we can talk about it.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by AMP-D
It isn't the turbo 350 bushing. Its T56 specific. I suggest freezing it in the freezer for an hour before installing it. This will shrink it enough to drive it in with minimal damage. I would also suggest using a bushing driver instead of a socket.

As for the other stuff, shoot me a message and we can talk about it.
Do you recommend using loctite retaining compound with the new bushing? Looks like I'm going to be ordering one of yours to replace mine while the tail shafts off.

I talked to Jason at TDP today, and It looks like I'm going to send him my mainshaft and 5/6 gear to see if he can do the fix to the shaft to regain the press fit on the gear. This seems like the cheapest route, especailly if he can ensure my gear will work on the repaired shaft.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do you recommend using loctite retaining compound with the new bushing? Looks like I'm going to be ordering one of yours to replace mine while the tail shafts off.

I talked to Jason at TDP today, and It looks like I'm going to send him my mainshaft and 5/6 gear to see if he can do the fix to the shaft to regain the press fit on the gear. This seems like the cheapest route, especailly if he can ensure my gear will work on the repaired shaft.
Its not required but it won't hurt to use it either.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:55 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks AMP.I just ordered the tail housing bushing and seal, snap ring kit and shifter bushing from your ebay store.

Cant wait to try the new tail shaft bushing.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

While inspecting The trans parts closely, it appears that the 3-4 synchro has wear on the 4th/input shaft side.

This trans only has 1k miles since it was rebuilt, and every synchro assembly was replaced with ones from D@D. The shift fork pads also have pretty good wear on the 4th gear side.

What would cause this wear? WOT shifts into 4th? worn teeth on the input shaft/4th?

Should I replace the synchro again or just run it? I never noticed any issues shifting into 4th. The 3rd gear side looks new still. I do have new shift fork pads.

Name:  34synchro_zpsvjexaqin.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  4thgear_zpswavblpkv.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  143.9 KB
Name:  shiftfork_zps9bzoc4bu.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  151.9 KB
Old 02-12-2017, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

I sharpened the points up on the input shaft/4th gear, and just de burred the synchro ring. Like I mentioned, I never had any problem shifting into 4th so I guess I will just run it how it is.

Quick Reply: loose 5-6 vibrations