Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter problem

I've searched and searched. Can't find answer. Recently pulled engine and trans for build. Installed everything, everything went smooth, only thing different is solid motor mounts. Go to put shifter back on, it's a pro 5.0 w/Lous short stick. Had it for 8 years never had a problem, well now after gettin it back together, it seems way to far to the right. Like when I'm in 1st it looks like it was when it was in 3rd. Reverse is a pain in the *** to get in and almost touches console. We thought maybe trans wasn't lined up straight but tq arm and drive shaft went on with not a single hesitation. Everything is straight, also loosened motor and trans mount and pushing on trans and it always fell perfectly back on the cross member where it was originally. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Launching!

anybody???
Old 02-20-2017, 10:50 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I don't think anybody has answered because from what you say, there's no conceivable reason why this would be the case. If the motor mounts were uneven and cocked the motor off to the right, as you say, then the mounting holes wouldn't line up on the crossmember. But everything lines up straight. Why then would the shifter be off?

Is there play or adjustability in the mounting of the shifter itself that could cause this? I doubt it, but I'm moving the thread to the M6 forum where more M6 knowledgeable people can comment.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Launching!

yea idk lol, thats why i posted, wanted to see if anyone also did solid mounts and maybe something similar. No adjustability, Thanks.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stock shifter would not do this because of the bolt pattern design, Aftermarket shifters are not created equal. Try reversing the shifter position on the trans, Should solve the prob.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Launching!

I mean the shifter has been perfect for 8 years, never had a problem with it, only off after we pulled engine and put back in.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Launching!

finally got power in the car, turn key on, goes into reverse with ease, turn key of and its hard as hell. Hopefully that solenoid isn't going out. Either way it was nice seeing that its there.

Quick Reply: Shifter problem