Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 noise/vibration issue - help identify possible causes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Ill go for a drive in the morning before i pull the driveshaft out since im having a new one cut.But Im pretty sure if I upshift early lets say into 3rd 4th..5th...6th and I punch it at around 1500rpm i hear a rattle sound.i can record it..its audible enough in some of my previous videos. Mileage wise,I got the trans used so there is no telling whats truly on it other than i think its over the 100k mark from what the seller told me till now yrs later i got about 12k on it myself.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine I could do WOT pulls 1-4, then as soon as I would shift into 5th and let off the throttle it would vibrate. Cruising in 6th gear at 65 + you could really feel the vibration.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Ok in this video you can kinda hear the rattle even in first gear as I load the trans.Its not clutch as this existed before and after putting in my monster lt1-s. As i said..i notice this rattle sound only lower rpm when im loading it down.The rattle sound doesnt seem to stay through the entire rpm band. the vibration is a seperate issue i feel at 55+mph

Listen really close as i inch through the left turn at the 3:14 mark:
Old 03-10-2017, 12:46 AM
9 Second Club

Heard the rattle but not really sure what that could be? Best bets to tear the trans apart and replace whats wore. If the 5-6 gear pulls off by hand and the splines are wore thts most likely your problem.

You car looks like it runs awesome! Really makes me want to go turbo/procharger.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:24 AM
12 Second Club

Yea..pretty much figure if im going to tear it apart and continue to push 600+whp through it...i should bite the bullet and do a complete stage 2 kit with new bearings and shaft.Do it right the first time apart and stick it back in.Make it better than new.

My car runs ok..still havent had it full tilt yet.But I just want to sort of what the vibration is my trans or the driveshaft from 1986 still on the car lol.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Well got the driveshaft out and tried running through the gears and the trans didnt make a single sound.Though the driveshaft u joints didnt seem to be very happy at all and im hoping that is majority of my issue.When I get my new shaft made and installed..with new joints..Ill report back.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

*update*

Driveshaft shop called me and luckily the stock shaft wasnt bent but the ujoints were trashed. Im upgrading to a 3inch shaft and hd joint on the shaft and diff to handle the power Im making. Ill have the new shaft in by mid next week. If im lucky ..the vibrations didnt do much damage to the trans or the diff either.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

No real update on mine, unfortunately, I just haven't been driving it. I've been debating taking it to the dealer - they have a dedicated V-series tech that I've gotten to know well over the years, so I should be able to get it looked out without spending $$$ on "diagnostics". At this point I'm fairly certain it's something in the transmission, maybe that bit of play I thought I could feel in the output, so I'm not sure he'd be able to tell me anything without pulling the tranny.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbull87
*update*

Driveshaft shop called me and luckily the stock shaft wasnt bent but the ujoints were trashed. Im upgrading to a 3inch shaft and hd joint on the shaft and diff to handle the power Im making. Ill have the new shaft in by mid next week. If im lucky ..the vibrations didnt do much damage to the trans or the diff either.
Redbull, if the new U joints fixes it, that's awesome. That's getting off pretty easy and back on the road in short order.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

*update*

Change the diff fluid while the drive shaft is out and check for shavings. I would also rotate your tires if you can or just have them re balanced if you haven't done it in the past year or two

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
No real update on mine, unfortunately, I just haven't been driving it. I've been debating taking it to the dealer - they have a dedicated V-series tech that I've gotten to know well over the years, so I should be able to get it looked out without spending $$$ on "diagnostics". At this point I'm fairly certain it's something in the transmission, maybe that bit of play I thought I could feel in the output, so I'm not sure he'd be able to tell me anything without pulling the tranny.
Why bother? He's going to charge triple labor to do everything youve already done and tell you he needs to pull the transmission for a proper diagnostic
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

I agree if just the U-joints were my main issue for vibration then I got very lucky. I believe they recommended I use a 1330 joint and yoke.

I thought about changing the diff fluid but Im going to hold off on that till I know for sure my vibration is gone. As for rotating tires..I cant do since i have directional et streets on the back.

Once I get the yokes put on the diff and trans...I can measure for a new shaft and have it cut/balanced and be on the road in a few more days. Atleast Ill have peace of mind about not breaking the shaft for now vs the stock 1987 shaft behind 600+hp

I also need to top up the trans fluid from pulling the driveshaft out.No biggie
Old 03-17-2017, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

One thing very good for finding noises is a stethoscope. You were already under the car with the noise happening. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

I agree if just the U-joints were my main issue for vibration then I got very lucky. I believe they recommended I use a 1330 joint and yoke.

I thought about changing the diff fluid but Im going to hold off on that till I know for sure my vibration is gone. As for rotating tires..I cant do since i have directional et streets on the back.

Once I get the yokes put on the diff and trans...I can measure for a new shaft and have it cut/balanced and be on the road in a few more days. Atleast Ill have peace of mind about not breaking the shaft for now vs the stock 1987 shaft behind 600+hp

I also need to top up the trans fluid from pulling the driveshaft out.No biggie

Stock 10bolt, I would remove the 10 bolt cover and inspect the gears. Especially pushing north of 600whp. If yours is a 98 be sure to add the mopar friction Additive when you full it back up
Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much rotatinal slop do you have in the diff? i noticed mine audibly after i put in the black cs mount. but saw it in person after i had the drive shaft out, with about a 1/8-1/4 turn of the drive shaft. it shows up audibly under some conditions. un sure of any vibrations as i still have a little bit of wheel vibration from my wheels.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Well looks like my luck wasnt high enough to cure my vibrations with the new driveshaft.Though the new shaft and u joints did make a difference. Im leaning towards bent axles. The vibrations seem to happen a little higher in speed now though before it gets more noticeable.

I do still want to rebuild the trans to a stage 2 regardless..but maybe get new axles and see if anything else needs attention in the diff and bring it upto snuff for the time being. Im not trying to dead hook the car on the stock 10 bolt,just make it more reliable and vibration free.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:32 PM
9 Second Club

Does it do it in 4th gear or only 5th/6th?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

I take back my previous statement. I think my vibrations are 90% gone with the new driveshaft and u-joints. I switched to my summer rims and et streets and decided to do another few test runs.I think the trans still has an issue and needs to be rebuilt as the rattling sound happens in any gear above 1st as I give a heavy load around 2000rpm.

While out testing..I seem to have picked on a few of the local slower community.The last lil race made me laugh.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a very clear sounds of the transmission rattles..among other issues I now have with switching to et streets hitting my fenders. I pulled my console out thinking maybe its the shifter rattling but its mounted solid. Its super annoying sound if you dont have the music up quite abit.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure it's not an exhaust rattle. It sounds like it's a hollow rattle like exhaust hitting something. If you're running factory motor mounts with a turbo kit the whole engine will move slightly under load. I use to have a bolt stuck in a heat shield where the engine bay headers, tuck under the car to the chassis. It would also rattle like hell in reverse

Hell if your trans mount is busted that whole transmission is going to want to move all over the place
Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Definetly not the exhaust. Its vbanded solid front to back and doesnt come close to touching anything. I run poly mounts on everything. The rattle I feel through the shifter, Ive tried moving the shifter while in gear and I can hear/feel the vibrations change tones. Maybe bearings in the trans..the sounds remind me of that.

Quick Reply: T56 noise/vibration issue - help identify possible causes