Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

using monster stage 3 clutch for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using monster stage 3 clutch for a daily driver

hi so i recently got a 2000 z28 with pretty much full bolt ons. stage 3 btr cam, 48lb injectors, cold air intake, headers, cutouts, everything together making about 415 to 425 ish horsepower. so the stock clutch is not happy with it making so much power and grinds a little with high rpm and hard shifting when im getting on it a little. the guy i got the car from included a monster level 3 single disc clutch with the car at no extra cost. i was just wondering what it would be like to use as a daily. i know that they are ment for high rpm launches but what would it be like just for daily use? thanks
Old 02-27-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your clutch has nothing to do with your transmission grinding. You should sell the clutch to help fund the transmission rebuild that the car actually needs
Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Monster level 3 ceramic clutch on my first vette. My advice, if you don't race the car, sell the level 3 and get a dual disk organic clutch. The level 3 works great, but the clutch pedal is quite a bit heaver than stock and it has a tendency to chatter when doing a normal launch. When I bought a new car, it came with a dual disk organic clutch, and for every day driving, it's way better. It holds 700 rwhp like the single disk stage 3 but drives like stock.

The trade-off is the dual disk is way more expensive than the ceramic single disk stage 3; but for an extra 300 dollars, you get much better street manners.

The guys at Monster are actually pretty cool, you might be able to work a deal for a trade for the dual disk if the Level 3 is still new in the box.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

to answer your ? about the Monster level 3. That is a segmented ceramic disc clutch which will hold the kind of power you make.....however just like any aggressive performance clutch there are trade off's in the DD dept. They do tend to chatter in DD which can be a PIA. Your engagement technique can minimize it some.

Best of both worlds, but not cheap, is a twin disc organic clutch

on your "grinds in gear at high rpm or hard to get into gear" statement...that "can" be internal tranny issues or you are having disengagement issues. The later can often be resolved with a adjustable MC like a TICK or McLeod (Wilwood) MC

Bleeding the clutch hydraulics would be the 1st thing I would do. That can solve the problem "if" the current fluid is old and broken down and the transmission otherwise has no internal problems. If the hydraulics do leak though bleeding will only be a short temporary fix.

Bleeding hydraulics or replacing MC or leaking slave will not solve internal transmission problems. Just hydraulic based problems.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have monster 3 in my DD, it does chatter every so often and it is a PIA BUT for me the M3 is worth it. It hold more power (TQ or HP) any bolt on Gen IV can throw at it so it should give you the confidence at any red light next to any car.
It is personal opinion and that is mine. Either way it is a win win. Monster makes some quality stuff single or dual.
my 1998 Z28 convertible's stock clutch blew on me at 195K miles......

Quick Reply: using monster stage 3 clutch for a daily driver