Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave, master, bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave, master, bleeding

Ok, so I was having problems with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor during high RPM shifts.

Bought a new master cylinder, just got done installing it and did the drill mod at the same time.

During install, when I went to disconnect the hydraulic line from the slave, I noticed there is some wiggle in the slave, so first question.. is that normal? With the hyd. Line removed, I could wiggle the slave about an 1/8" all around.

Had my son help me bleed the system. I was under with an 11mm on the bleeder. Open bleeder, push pedal, close bleed, release pedal. About 4 times, refilled reservoir, about 5 more times, refilled, about 5 more times, refilled. I got in to feel the pedal. Didn't feel right, felt loose til maybe about an inch from the floor. Basically opposite of how it always felt, loose about an inch, then 'feel' the rest of the way. We continued bleeding about 5 more rounds. Pedal still felt that way. Took it for a drive up the road and back. Started off with the weird feel to it, still shifted gear to gear fine. Then the pedal feel started to come back, not exactly how it was before, but better than the engaging an inch off the floor, maybe about half and half now.

Planning on getting a mighty vac tomorrow to keep bleeding on it, see if that changes it.

So did I just not bleed it enough and there's still air in the system? And also about that wiggly slave? Is that going out now too?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Try pushing pedal first. Then crack bleeder. Close bleeder. Lift pedal.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

I guess there was just a ****-ton of air in there. Hooked the MightyVac up, stuck the taper end down into the reservoir and pumped it up to about 17.. sucked a bunch of air out of it right out. When those bubbles stopped, had my son work the pedal, more big ol' bubbles kept coming. Worked it about 10 minutes til there was absolutely no bubbles.. got it, pedal is nice and firm, feels better than original.

Well, that's taken care of, but still worried about the 'wiggly' slave cylinder though. Guess I might as well start saving up for a clutch/flywheel/slave either way.

Been looking at the McLeod super Street pro, think that would do me fine. Rated up to 550hp, which even if that's only crank HP, I'm nowhere near (ls1 with bolt-ons) and give me some room to grow.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slave should not wiggle. It's held down to the trans by two small bolts
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well, that's just fantastic... Not really looking forward to that job lol.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you start hearing a rattle noise with the clutch pedal released, in or out of gear, it's time to drop the trans. Hate to have one of those bolts so loose that it eventually backs itself out and gets in there and damages the clutch

Quick Reply: Slave, master, bleeding