Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Noise

I am having this issue and am trying to narrow it down. When I have my car idling after a minute or two and slightly turn the steering wheel it start's making the noise, then continues for a bit while I'm not touching it. It's a growling/vibrating noise coming from what sounds like the steering column. It has gotten progressively louder. At first I figured it was my PS pump, so I exchanged it out under warranty. Didn't help.

While driving I can feel what seems to be a pulsating feeling from the gas pedal. I can't hear the sound over my exhaust, until I am at a stop light. I have attached a video so you can hear the sound. When I jack up the front and turn the steering wheel, the noise won't be there at all.

It sounds likes it's now coming from my Driver's side suspension, I had my GF turn the wheel to duplicate the noise and I checked the bearings, control arm, sway bar bushings, and the struts. Nothing seems to be binding and the upper control arms "seem" to be fine, however that's where it appeared the noise was at.

Now, in the video the first quick noise is when I slightly turn the steering wheel, then towards the end, "something new to me", the sound got louder while releasing the clutch halfway. So, now I'm thinking something with the transmission as well, maybe pilot or throwout bearing?

Old 04-23-2017, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update. Changed motor and transmission mounts. Sound is gone.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise