Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need help with weird spec clutch problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 05:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with weird spec clutch problem!

I bought the spec stage 3 clutch for my 2000 Vette and initially it would have 2 different problems. At first the clutch pedal would stick to the floor after a big burn out, or when raced down the drag strip hard. Then I noticed that sometimes the RPM's would go up but the car would not move any faster (as if the clutch was slipping). Now, 2 months down the road, the clutch pedal is butter half way down and sometimes I have to pump the clutch to get the car into gear. It also will jump forward if I rev the car while the clutch pedal is pressed and the transmission is in gear (like the presure plate is grabbing the flywheel)! Very Weird! I have not replaced the master or slave cylinder and plan on doing so soon. I have also heard of the drill mod for the master cylinder. Any advice on what the hell is going on, or what I should do would help. I'm at the point of ripping the spec clutch out and replacing it with the Mcleod Clutch while installing better master and slave cylinders. I have heard its hit and miss with these clutches and the master cylinder is a must to upgrade!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:27 PM
wrencher

All your issues sound like hydraulic problems. You need to replace the master & the slave & do the drill mod.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I kinda thought! So do you think it would be alright to keep the spec 3 clutch installed, Or should I replace it when I replace the master and slave cylinders?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

depends on how it looks to be honest with ya, when you have it down take a look and see if its heated bad or cracked and go from there
Old 09-30-2004, 10:27 PM
wrencher

That's prolly how I'd do it. If you want perfection or have money to burn, replace it.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try an Exedy clutch. With this clutch there is no need to upgrade hydraulics. Alot of the Vette guys are running these clutches. I have one and love it. The single disk holds 600 ft/lbs and the twin holds alot more! Extremly smooth clutch, and again due to their design there is no need to upgrade hydraulics.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:18 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by ashade98
Try an Exedy clutch. With this clutch there is no need to upgrade hydraulics. Extremly smooth clutch, and again due to their design there is no need to upgrade hydraulics.
I like their stuff, I might try it for the "next" one. But no matter what clutch you put in there you'll never loose the hydraulic's weak link. Once it starts sucking & sticking the pedal down, you need to fix it, regardless of replacement clutch set.

Quick Reply: Need help with weird spec clutch problem!