Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot Bushing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Bushing replacement

I am doing the clutch in my car this weekend and the car has 116k miles so I figured I would change the pilot bushing while I'm down there. I hear it's a real PITA to remove the old one, but it's very easy to install the new one. What is the easiest way, besides using the puller, to remove the old bushing? For a replacement what is recommended, the bronze bushing or the bearing one?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Rent/borrow a slide hammer from a auto parts store. Other than that I know of no good way to remove the bearing with out risking damaging the crank.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't take any stupid shortcuts. Just borrow the slide, and do it right!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Alright, well my buddy has a slide hammer, what kind of head/fitting do I have to use with the hammer? And again, what is recommended for a replacment? Bushing or Bearing.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Stock GM OEM replacement!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are a couple of other ways to get the pilot bushing or bearing in your case out. One successful method I have seen is to run a large easyout down through the bushing until it bottoms against the crank, then as you turn the easyout(screw extractor) it will pull the bushing out. Another method is to pack the hole with grease. Then take the the blunt end of a punch or whatever fits fairly tight inside the bushing and hammer it. I know it sounds crazy, but the grease acts as a hydrolic and presses the bushing out. Or, you could just drill it out, but be careful. As for which is better to use, the bushing is definately better. Think about it, how are you going to grease that bearing? I have seen many bearings come out as powder, but never a bushing. The guy that does the transmission jobs that our shop takes on always goes back with a bushing.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 5LTREATR
There are a couple of other ways to get the pilot bushing or bearing in your case out. One successful method I have seen is to run a large easyout down through the bushing until it bottoms against the crank, then as you turn the easyout(screw extractor) it will pull the bushing out. Another method is to pack the hole with grease. Then take the the blunt end of a punch or whatever fits fairly tight inside the bushing and hammer it. I know it sounds crazy, but the grease acts as a hydrolic and presses the bushing out. Or, you could just drill it out, but be careful. As for which is better to use, the bushing is definately better. Think about it, how are you going to grease that bearing? I have seen many bearings come out as powder, but never a bushing. The guy that does the transmission jobs that our shop takes on always goes back with a bushing.
you cant hyd. out or push on the crank there is only a press in plug behind the pilot bearing and if moved you will have a massive oil leak
Old 10-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Anyone have a GM part number for a replacement bushing?

BTW, I'm using a Ram clutch, not OEM.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
Alright, well my buddy has a slide hammer, what kind of head/fitting do I have to use with the hammer? And again, what is recommended for a replacment? Bushing or Bearing.

Well, I replaced mine with the bushing. It seems that the bearing can't handle too much before it craps out. It is a pain in the *** to remove a pilot bearing that has seperated into pieces. After the last pilot bearing went out, it decided to take my T56's input shaft with it, so thats what made me switch to the bushing.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Actually, if a bearing has separated into pieces, you just stick your finger in there and brush it out. There are no secret compartments in there. It's just a hole, the same size as the bearing.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Does anyone have a part number for the pilot bushing GM seems to only sell the bearing. Will Napa, Advanced, Autozone sell the busing? Need to know fast.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bushing replacement