Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

lt1 ls1 flywheel and clutch difference? What do I need

Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 ls1 flywheel and clutch difference? What do I need

I have purchased a 00 ls1 engine that came from a six speed car, and still has the flywheel, and a t56 from out of a lt1 car. It is going into my 97 toyota tacoma. I know that the 93-97, and 98 up trannys have a different t.o. bearing set-up. What clutch and flywheel do I need to use the ls1 engine, with the older t-56.
After searching a bit farther, I find that the input shaft lengths are different, but I really don't understand why it won't work as long as I use lt1 flywheel, clutch and tranny, unless the lt1 flywheel doesn't work on the ls1. Could someone please help explain, Thanks.

Last edited by 12thstreetjunkman; 12-03-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:10 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The Gen II flywheel won't work on the LS1 for starters. Additionally, the release of an LT1 clutch needs a pull type clutch mechanism which isn't present on the front end of an LS1 trans.

I would suggest simplifying and getting the correct front end plate (bolts to the maincase) and input shaft for the T56 to make it a Gen III engine compatible T56, and running LS1 parts with the LS1. Now granted, I can tell you ways of making the LT1 T56 work with the Gen III but when you can make things proper instead of cobbling, sometimes that's the better option and it is in this case. Since I'm sure you won't take this for what it's worth, I'll tell you this: I've already tried out the McLeod hyd. throwout bearing for the LT1 trans. and it doesn't fit like Red says it will.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks jmd for the reply, I am going to do it the right way, and swap out the parts, bellhousing, front plate input shaft, and hydraulics to make it work without having to fab or rig anything and use all newer style parts. I don't want to go through having to pull the tranny back out to fix my mistakes. Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt1 ls1 flywheel and clutch difference? What do I need