Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Which fluid is best for a M12 T56?
Redline D4 ATF
8.85%
Royal Purple Syncromax
29.88%
GM Syncromesh
25.71%
OEM Dexron III ATF
35.56%
Voters: 599. You may not vote on this poll

Which T56 fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am not all up to speed on this.....Dextron III is dino oil.....what's Synchromesh....is it synthetic? If so, then I guess it's out of the question for me since I have a 98, right?

Manny
Old 11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
Since I am not all up to speed on this.....Dextron III is dino oil.....what's Synchromesh....is it synthetic? If so, then I guess it's out of the question for me since I have a 98, right?

Manny
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the GM Synchromesh is not a synthetic fluid (although some on here have called it a "semi-synthetic"). The Pennzoil techs told me that their Synchromesh is not synthetic, so if that's the same stuff in a different bottle from GM, I guess I'm right?? I'm not sure about the green Rockland Gear fluid being synthetic or not, anyone know for sure? As far as there being a synchro material difference between model years goes; take it for what it's worth, but when I questioned the Tremec tech on this he said ALL of the LS1 T56s used the same material for the synchros, only the LT1 cars used anything different. Again, maybe someone who has actually taken apart/rebuilt different year LS1 T56s can come on here and concur or refute this statement??
Old 11-14-2005, 09:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Although I do not know what makes up the formulation for Synchromesh, it's my understanding that it's not synthetic.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess since I really never had a problem shifting, I'll be on the safe side and just use Dexron III. They have the Valvoline brand at the local Adavance Auto Parts, so I guess that will suffice. Should I take the normal version or the one for older trannys? I got 52k on mine, and this is the first time changing the fluid.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by peterock98
I've been using GM Syncromesh,so far so good.
Same.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After D&D Performance did an amazing job rebuilding my entire trans, they recommended any DextronIII ATF. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic fancy stuff. I think as long as u change it regularly and take car of your car it's all about the same!
Old 11-24-2005, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

After D&D Performance did an amazing job rebuilding my entire trans, they recommended any DextronIII ATF. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic fancy stuff. I think as long as u change it regularly and take car of your car it's all about the same!
Old 11-25-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Just want to clear up a common misconception: Dexron III is a specification, not an actual fluid fill.

For example, the OEM fill in the T-56 F-bodys was a dino Dexron III rated ATF.

However, and this is just an example, Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF is also Dexron III rated. Given, it is a synthetic rather than a dino, but it does carry a Dexron III rating. Here's the current link: Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF Product Data Sheet

There are other fluids that owners of vehicles that have a T-56 use though that are not Dexron III rated, such as Pennzoil Synchromesh (I just picked on Pennzoil as their website is laid out well): Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid Product Data Sheet

Just wanted to clear up the difference between what I think the "use Dexron III only" advocates are getting at...I think what their really trying to say is use what the OEM fill was...and that'd be a dino Dexron III rated fluid...

...I have to be honest and say I don't agree...just thought it be good to distinguish between "Dexron III" and "dino Dexron III", as they are not the same thing...

Chuck
Old 12-01-2005, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

When I had my trans rebuilt for the guy that rebuilt it (local shop) told me to run a 10w-30 synthetic oil in it. I argured with him for a while about it. Needless to say I tried running 10w-30 in it and was amazed on how much better the trany shifted. So for I have 15K miles on the car using Oil in the trans rather than Dexron III. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Chris
Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver98formula
When I had my trans rebuilt for the guy that rebuilt it (local shop) told me to run a 10w-30 synthetic oil in it. I argured with him for a while about it. Needless to say I tried running 10w-30 in it and was amazed on how much better the trany shifted. So for I have 15K miles on the car using Oil in the trans rather than Dexron III. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Chris

thats very intresting, did u use 10w30 from the get-go? or did u use dexIII then switch to 10w30?
Old 12-01-2005, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

After the rebuild I started to use Mobil 1 10w-30. Before that I used Dex. III

Chris
Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Not that these other manuals are related to the T-56 other than their manuals themselves, but back in high school my buddy inherited this older Toyota truck that called for 5W-30 in it's manual....and I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that another guy I know in his 89 (?) Dodge Spirit also called for a 5W-30...

...basically, they just used 5W-30 motor oil, and never had any problems that I heard about.

So, using a 30 weight motor oil in a manual isn't unheard of...using it in a T-56 though is something I haven't seen debated...

For reference, I believe the ATF's are in the 20 weight range...with most of today's xW-30's in the low 30 weight range. So, from a weight standpoint, Mobil-1 5W-30 or 10W-30 really isn't that far away from the Synchromesh fills that many here (and elsewhere) are running.

As an edit, ATF does expand when it get hots...while I don't think motor oil does (at least not to the degree ATF does, it motor oil does at all). It could be possible, although I'm not sure how anyone would go about finding out, that GM knows that as the ATF expands - as in the fluid is now taking up a greater volume of space - it reaches previously dry or splash lubed parts of the transmission and starts lubing parts by boundary lubrication, or at worst, barrier lubrication. Just a thought...anythings possible...

Chuck

Last edited by chucky2; 12-02-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silver98formula
After the rebuild I started to use Mobil 1 10w-30. Before that I used Dex. III

Chris
maybe the reason it feels much better is due to the fact that the transmission was just rebuilt... call me crazy, but u may be crediting the smoothness to the fluid when its really because the transmission was just rebuilt....
Old 12-03-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put GM synchromesh in mine today - amazing how smooth it shifts now!
Part no. 12345349 (without friction modifier).
I first tried BP Autran DX then Agip ATF. Both are Dexron III specified.
BP is mineral and it wasn't too bad, Agip is semi synthetic and it felt more notchy and easy to grind.
Somehow my 98 tranny likes the synchromesh wich is thicker than the other Dexron III type oils.
It doesn't shift faster but smoother

Stefano
Old 12-03-2005, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Anybody use this stuff? Redline MTL

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...57&subcatID=18

I saw it on one of the TV shows over the weekend and was curious about it.
At 100,000 miles my mechanic switched me over from factory fill to Honda ATF. Shifting was great, no complaints at all.

Now at 212,000 miles I've been told to use Redline MTL... which makes sense considering the description specificly mentions MTL's intended use in Honda trannys. It's classified as a 75W/85W gear lubricant, which viscosity wise is equivalent to a 5W30 or 10W30... right in line with the mentioned engine oils here. However anyone using engine oil in a tranny is taking a huge risk IMO. Redline specificly calls out this back-woods band-aid as problematic citing sheer strength and coefficent of friction. If you look at their graph in the tech sheet you'll see that tranny gear speed below 750 RPM causes significant increased levels of friction in the engine oil fill (higher speeds are less of an issue).
Old 12-03-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Although I do not know what makes up the formulation for Synchromesh, it's my understanding that it's not synthetic.
on the bottle it says:
it is an amber colored, light bodied base product that is a partially SYNTHETIC manual transmission fluid"

Old 12-04-2005, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah the smoothness may be from the rebuild rather than the fluid. Either way I though I would throw my thought out.

Chris
Old 12-04-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dailydriver
As far as there being a synchro material difference between model years goes; take it for what it's worth, but when I questioned the Tremec tech on this he said ALL of the LS1 T56s used the same material for the synchros, only the LT1 cars used anything different. Again, maybe someone who has actually taken apart/rebuilt different year LS1 T56s can come on here and concur or refute this statement??
Can anybody verify this?
Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bshell
Can anybody verify this?
gathering from word of mouth, ive heard that the LT1 T56(borg-warner) was a stronger unit capable of taking more beating than the new tremec brand.

both T56, different manufactures

its also been rummered of the 01-02 t56 having different synchronizer and blocker ring material.
who REALLY knows if this statement is true. after my transmission was rebuild 6 months ago i called the dealership to see if the part numbers for a 00 and a 02 where the same for those parts, and they were.

???
Old 12-05-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I checked on a couple of Mustang forums and those that have the T56 make a difference between before and after the 97 trannies...
Do we really share the same tranny or is it different from car to car?

Quick Reply: Which T56 fluid?