Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia finally installed, now car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
King of Pigskin Knowledge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Textralia finally installed, now car won't start

Well, my month long (don't ask) Textralia install "was" finally done, but the car won't start now. I went out and bought a new $180 starter, but it didn't help. It seems something is keeping the motor from turning over, but I don't have any idea what it could be. The car rolls just fine in nuetral, but I think something could be holding up the flywheel, although I can't think of what it would be. I REALLY don't want to have to take the tranny out AGAIN, especially since the exhaust and everything is all bolted up now.

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you turn the key does anything happen? Kind of like when the battery is dead?

If not I would start by checking to make sure that your clutch safety switch is being depressed when you put your foot on the clutch. This is the switch on the bottom side of the pedal. There is nothing other than this switch involved with the tranny that would keep your car from starting. There is also a switch on the top side that disengages the cruise control when you put your foot on the clutch. I have some problems every now and then with this. I have to STOMP down on the clutch pedal and the car will start. I've been too lazy to climb down there and adjust it
Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM

Yeah, when i turn the key, the starter engages, you can hear it. But I think something is making the flywheel stick, b/c I can't even turn the motor over by hand now. I just can't imagine what it would be though.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC
Yeah, when i turn the key, the starter engages, you can hear it. But I think something is making the flywheel stick, b/c I can't even turn the motor over by hand now. I just can't imagine what it would be though.
Rats, I was hoping it would be something easy
Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would think a possibility is the flywheel.If you can't turn it by hand the flywheel is locked on something -maybe put in backwards
Old 07-06-2005, 08:30 PM

******* SWEET!!!

Just took everything apart again. The ARP pressure plate to flywheel bolts were sticking through the flywheel and hitting against the McLeod Bellhousing motor plate, thus causing NOTHING to turn. So I need to grind down the bolts about 1/4". Live and learn I guess, hope someone else reads this and can learn from my mistake.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my Tex today. I hope I dont get those bolts!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I ordered my Tex today. I hope I dont get those bolts!
You will. I don't know if they would be a problem without the McLeod bellhousing armor plate against the motor or not. But with that plate there, they are just too long. Make sure you check your clearences. I was so worried about the actual flywheel against that plate, I never thought about the bolts.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The engagement of the supplied ARP set screws and washers from Textralia have never extended past the back of the flywheel. ARP doesn’t usually get this wrong.

Personally I’d like to see some pics? We are very interested… Or you could email them to textralia@iinet.net.com and we’ll post them for you.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

And?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Plan B, I'll email you some pics hopefully later tonight, I hope to find the time to put the car back together this evening. The bolts are already ground down though, you should be able to tell from the pics. They were the only ones we received that threaded into the flywheel. Obviously we checked to see which ones threaded where before install, and I just went out to the garage now, no other ARP bolts thread into the flywheel.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Here is the McLeod bellhousing plate that goes on the back of the motor. You can see where the bolts dug in and scraped. I cleaned up the gouges with a dremel a couple days ago. I'll post some pics of the bolts themselves when the
guy helping me with the install comes over tonight. He took them to his shop to grind them down about 1/4". Like I said in my latest post, these were the
only ARP bolts that threaded into the flywheel and there were the correct number of them (6). They also had the washers on them.

Plan B, your email address didn't work.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:21 PM

Well, just got everything buttoned up and took it for a drive. I have to admit, this thing feels like stock, has a pretty high engagement point, which i love, and it doesn't chatter at all. Feels great so far. I hope it grips well when I get on it, haven't done that yet. But so far, it feels like the stock clutch.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM

Here's a pic of the ground down bolts and a pic of the flywheel showing the bolts no longer stick out of it. Like I said, everything works great now and so far, I love this clutch. Just like stock.