Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shower of sparks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shower of sparks?

Ok I just replaced the trans in my car. I looked at the clutch and it was worn and had a few heat spots (ok all the way around) but it has always held strong and never slipped. Well I didnt replace it because of time and money. Now it still holds great even with the bottle on. But last night was the first night I turned on the bottle and everybody that was around said I had a lot of sparks comeing from under the front of the car? I have a video of the car doing the same thing last year when I broke second gear and this is the first time Ive had it out sence then. I hear no grinding or anything.

So could this be the clutch doing this? and if so how can the sparks get out of the bellhouseing? The clutch is the only thing I can think of, everything else is pretty much stock.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Launching!

i have no idea what that could be, all i know is sparks=bad.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya I know thanks I have checked everything and I can find any rub marks anywhere. It defenitly is comeing from the front I thought the bellhousing might be loose and rubbing the flywheel but its all aluminum so even if it was it wouldnt be sparking, and when I had it apart I couldnt find any wear marks. I was going to try and put it on a dyno today and look underneath it to see if I could see where there comeing from but they couldnt get me in. The only thing I can think of is the clutch but how do the sparks get out of the bellhouseing?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Launching!

just because it's aluminum doesn't mean it won't spark. I have seen aluminum spark. does it make a noise when the sparks are happening, ie. is it quite obvious something is going on?
Old 07-10-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Theres no noise at all. I didnt know it was happening until I seen the video from the track. Then friday night someone told me it looked like the 4th of july under the car from all the sparks. I checked the driveshaft around the loop and its not touching. and it looks like its more toward the front of the car. If I had a way to load the video I would put it up and let you guys see it. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I have a update. I went to the dyno today and it wouldnt do it. They said it looks like I need new motor mounts when I hit the button. but on the motor they dont move but maybe 1-1 1/2". They said my exhaust is being streatched where the manifold and the cat come together, and that might be where there comeing from.

The good new is it made 325rwhp on a dynojet dyno on the motor.
and I finally have some numbers for the nos nozzel kit. 500rwhp on a 180hp jetting.

He said the tq didnt read right due to them not haveing a good spark for their dyno? I asked how they could get the hp without the tq reading and how acurite it would be. he said it was right on. So I dont know how good the numbers are but thats what I have. Oh and that was with a FAT a/f it went off the scale for about 2k rpm then came back to aorund 11/1. my o2s were reading 950 the whole run.