Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch dragging, hard to get gears/T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Clutch dragging, hard to get gears/T56

Ive just fitted a new engine to my car, but it seems quite difficult to get gears now. Both from standstill, and when on the move as if the clutch is dragging a bit.
It was ok with the standard engine before, before I took it apart, both with factory 01 clutch, then the Spec 4F shortly after, although the spec was only in for 3-400 miles at that point, before I removed the stock engine for replacement..
Reverse was always a bit tight, bit now its all the gears, including when driving. It doesnt crunch gears at all, but no doubt it is hurting the synchros at the minute, and doesnt shift as nice as it once did..
Its the Spec 4F complete with flywheel ( and steel shim ). I would be confident to say there is no air in the system, and biting point is still near the top of the pedal, so I would also be sure there is plenty of travel to disengage the driveplate, when the clutch is pressed.
Its actually a little too near the top of the pedal for my liking...but it had worked well up til now with both clutches..

I have 01 slave, although Im using a Girling master, as this is in a conversion, not a factory GM car.
The stock 01 clutch was working perfectly until it started slipping as it couldnt cope. Then I fitted the Spec, which worked good initially. Not sure why an engine change should highlight this problem though ??

Any suggestions ??

Ive bled it a couple of times, and it doesnt feel like there is any air in the system.
There is plenty of fluid in the trans, and its pretty new, as Ive only has this engine/box in my car for about 3 months at most so far.
01-T56

Now considering a Textralia