Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Attn Experts!! Knocking when I downshift...WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attn Experts!! Knocking when I downshift...WTF?

Its one thing after another. I can't win for losing. I've been having problems at the strip with my clutch burning after my runs. Tonight I just got back from watching the drags and on the way there and home, I noticed that when I would downshift it would make a slight knock while it went into gear (before I let the clutch off). WTF? This pisses me off. Is it my transmission now? It drives fine, but only makes that sound when I down shift. Upshifting is fine. This happens mainly in 2nd gear. I have a 2000 M6 C5 with a center force duel friction clutch. I had the clutch professionally installed over 8mo. ago, and now all of a sudden I'm having all these problems.....I think I'll just blow up my car and collect the insurance money
Old 07-14-2005, 03:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of knock? Metallic clunk, rattle, etc.? At any speed? if you rev the engine while down shifting (higher than the rpm of the gear you're going to) does it still do it?
Old 07-14-2005, 12:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
What kind of knock? Metallic clunk, rattle, etc.? At any speed? if you rev the engine while down shifting (higher than the rpm of the gear you're going to) does it still do it?
Its a solid single knock (metallic clunk sounds about right) as the car goes into gear. It was only doing it when I down shifted, upshifting seemed fine. I'll try to down shift (as if I was going to nail it) and see what happens.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
...with cheese.

Are you sure your tranny mount isnt bad and its not the tailshaft banging the floorboard when you put load on the drivetrain?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Armageddon
Are you sure your tranny mount isnt bad and its not the tailshaft banging the floorboard when you put load on the drivetrain?
It can't be cause my clutch is disengaged when it makes the sound. It has to be from the tranny.........

Quick Reply: Attn Experts!! Knocking when I downshift...WTF?