Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What to replace stock clutch with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to replace stock clutch with?

My clutch is going out on me. My SS is a 98 with 77K miles on it. I don't race it all, it's my cruiser. However, I couldn't resist modding the car with exhuast, shorty headers (I live in CA), lowering springs, and basic bolt-ons. Anyways, my question here is what upgrades can I do to the clutch if I dont want to go back to the stock clutch? I am fairly new to upgrading clutches and being the hot rodder that I am, I don't want to replace the stock clutch with a stock one unless I have to. I don't want anything too crazy but something thats better than stock. ANy suggestions would be extremely helpful!
Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by he98ss
My clutch is going out on me. My SS is a 98 with 77K miles on it. I don't race it all, it's my cruiser. However, I couldn't resist modding the car with exhuast, shorty headers (I live in CA), lowering springs, and basic bolt-ons. Anyways, my question here is what upgrades can I do to the clutch if I dont want to go back to the stock clutch? I am fairly new to upgrading clutches and being the hot rodder that I am, I don't want to replace the stock clutch with a stock one unless I have to. I don't want anything too crazy but something thats better than stock. ANy suggestions would be extremely helpful!
I'm having the same problem with my clutch right now and I'm going with a RAM Powergrip HD...you might opt not to go for the HD yourself, as the non-HD version is more streetable...I'm also replacing the hydraulics (which is actually the main cause of my problem, not the clutch itself) because our 98s suck in that realm. I will likely post my results upon completion of the install; wish I had an actual product opinion to give you right now.

But this is an area this is going to require plenty of research; I've been on this manual transmission board for quite awhile trying to first diagnose my problem, and then trying to learn all I could about the clutches that are out there and reading people's successes/problems with them. Every clutch had at least one person that loved it, and one that hated it. There is no "perfect" clutch for that very reason. Just do your research so you can make the most educated decision possible for the goals you have in mind.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the same scenario (2000 Z28, intake/exhasut mods). What was recommended to me by just about everyone I've spoken to so far was the Z06 upgrade clutch. Comes with clutch, pressure plate and a lighter/stronger flywheel. You'll definitely want to upgrade the slave cylinder at the same time. Master, not a necessity, but certainly won't hurt.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

id recommend either the zo6 clutch, spec 2 or ram oem replacement......all better than stock. If your not racing and need it to last then they are all good choices. go ahead and upgrade the slave since your already there. If your daring, then do the master cylinder and drill mod too.....Some shops sell the zo6 kit for 343 plus 45 for shipping.

Last edited by Ragtop 99; 07-18-2005 at 09:58 PM. Reason: non-sponsor pricing
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your scenario, I'd do the Z06 clutch and keep the nice factory feel.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
In your scenario, I'd do the Z06 clutch and keep the nice factory feel.
Yep, I would have to agree. Why complicate your life with an aftermarket clutch if the Z06 will suffice
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z06 clutch or a Spec Stage 1 or 2 would be good.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rush7
I'm having the same problem with my clutch right now and I'm going with a RAM Powergrip HD...you might opt not to go for the HD yourself, as the non-HD version is more streetable...I'm also replacing the hydraulics (which is actually the main cause of my problem, not the clutch itself) because our 98s suck in that realm. I will likely post my results upon completion of the install; wish I had an actual product opinion to give you right now.

But this is an area this is going to require plenty of research; I've been on this manual transmission board for quite awhile trying to first diagnose my problem, and then trying to learn all I could about the clutches that are out there and reading people's successes/problems with them. Every clutch had at least one person that loved it, and one that hated it. There is no "perfect" clutch for that very reason. Just do your research so you can make the most educated decision possible for the goals you have in mind.
I wish you luck with your Powergrip HD... here's what mine looked like after around 800 miles and exactly 8 track passes:

Got the McLeod Twin Disk in now and I'm MUCH happier with it... well worth the money.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Appreciate all the info. Thank You. Have you all seen the Z06 clutch package that SLP is selling? It includes an LS6-style OEM clutch disc, a self-adjusting pressure plate and a SLP billet steel flywheel...all for $849.95 plus s/h. Is this a good/fair deal with what it includes? or does someone else know where we can get Z06 clutch for cheaper?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Launching!

stay away from slp
Old 07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

The SLP unit is about $500 over priced. You can get one from Jim Pace, or from here: http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/2239...e-Assembly.htm for $350 US. Or any GM dealer parts department should be able to get it for you, which might be better if you are part of a club with a parts discount at a local dealer.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Teching In

WOW. I couldn't believe the price difference. I completely forgot about SDPC. appreciate all the info. Looks like ill be going the Z06 route through SDPC.
Ill post the results....Thanks.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't plan on major power upgrades or more than occassional racing, the Z06 clutch should be more than adequate. Enjoy!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I wish you luck with your Powergrip HD... here's what mine looked like after around 800 miles and exactly 8 track passes:

ouch...did you replace the flywheel and supporting stuff at the same time or just the clutch kit? i've heard of people really tearing stuff up if they don't do a full swap, but damn...800 fricking miles....that's maybe 3 weeks worth of trips to work and back for me....ugh
Old 07-19-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rush7
ouch...did you replace the flywheel and supporting stuff at the same time or just the clutch kit? i've heard of people really tearing stuff up if they don't do a full swap, but damn...800 fricking miles....that's maybe 3 weeks worth of trips to work and back for me....ugh
That's a McLeod billet steel flywheel in the pic... certainly wasn't a stock setup by any means.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Default Centerforce or z06 clutch which is better

Centerforce or z06 clutch which is better?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

centerforce...if not a spec clutch
Old 07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
PR Director

Originally Posted by STS SUPERCAR
There are alot of guys who had bad dealings with centerforce, I would go with a z06 if those were the two choices.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by STS SUPERCAR
It's more of a questions as to what is better for you. For a 400hp car (not rwhp) and someone that is looking for a stock feel and dependable installation then a Z06 is the best. For someone looking to drag race on slicks/DRs and is not concerned about chattering, than an aftermarket clutch is the answer.

As far as what is the best aftermarket clutch, the answer is going to vary based on who you ask. For me the best answer hs been a Ram 6130 disk with a 402 pressure plate and a stock flywheel. I have literally hundreds of 1/4 mile passes some on slicks, some on DRs and 60K miles on this clutch. I paid 350 for it and just had it rebuilt for 190.

Bottom line there is no "best" clutch.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

What bad dealings?

Quick Reply: What to replace stock clutch with?