Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny questions

Last friday something blow in my tranny which blow apart the housing where the skip shift thingy is. What kind of manual trans will hold up to my 6k launches off the juice. My car dyno something like 400rwhp and 380 rwtq then I spray 150 shot. I use 28" et streets.Some new heads and another cam is on the way. So something gotta work. I was thinking about proshifting my tranny but does it make it any stronger and I cant find there website or anything about them. Maybe you might have other suggustion's on what transmissions to get or what to do with the one I have so let me know.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You right about the proshifting, it does not make the tranny any stronger. With H/C car with a 150 shot you are probably looking at about 500-550rwhp. THere are a bunch of people still running a pretty stock T56. By this I mean a stock input/output shaft and regular gears. Upgraded synchro keys and blocker rings are pretty affordable. Just about any other the reputable rebuilders should be able to hook you up with a tranny that will last a respectable amount of time. But no tranny will last forever drag racing. If you race a bunch just be ready for rebuilds. I have had three in the past 6 years now.

Just an FYI, that busted case will cause you problems if you are going to use it as a core.

I would be curious to know what let loose in your tranny that blew out the side of the case.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

I only have about 2,500 miles on this tranny after a rebuild. And of course I got the usual stuff, fork, carbon ring , sliders and new bearings on that rebuild. I've been to the track this summer 4 times and have only made 5 successful passes out off 8 attempts. Is it just me or do need to go get something stronger. Also I had the bushing in the rear section weld itself to the driveshaft , so the shop replaced the tailsection of the tranny. They got a used section , I was wondering if that might of been the problem from the start ? Because that's the section that is all broke up. I know that racing kills alot of things but this should'f lasted a longer in my eyes. whatcha think ?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like your tranny probs are secondary to car set-up issues. A bushing "welded" to the yoke happens from vibe/ misalignment. Are your mounts / torque arm in proper working condition? If it broke the extension casting near the solenoid( that is the reverse inhibitor NOT the skip shift BTW) ther are prolly chunks of output that did it. You should upgrade to a larger output shaft and review your set up.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

calhoon
I noticed the welded bushing when I had some clutch issues a couple of months ago. I had to pull out the driveshaft with a come-a-long. At that time I had a new driveshaft made and I guess the tolerances just were to tight and not letting it get lubed up,(as I was told) which made the bushing seize up to the shaft and spin in the case.Thats why the rear section was replaced. As for the mounts , they are new. The torque arm doesn't go to the tranny( I changed it). How does the larger output shaft make it any stronger ? The input shaft is still the stock size, and wouldn't that just make it break there next time instead of the output breaking. By no means am I a expert with this stuff I'm just thinking in thoery, so please don't get offended. Thanks for your help
Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

If i'm not mistaken don't the F-body cars have the same size input shaft as a viper(1.125"x26T) and it was the mustang cobras with the smaller one(1.0625"x 10T). I think the stock input shaft will hold over 700whp. I'm not pos. about that though.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:38 PM
9 Second Club

Well if thats the case , maybe I'll give the old tranny one more try. This time with the viper output shaft.