Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pulling T56

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling T56

I have never worked on the 4th gen t56's. Can the tranny be pulled from the bell housing without disturbing the hydraulics and clutch assembly? Has anyone ever done this/ and if so do you have any recommendations? I am not going to put in a new clutch at this time. It isn't necessary and I need to save some more change$$$ to get the one that I want. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan on doing the drill mod and completely bleeding system while it's apart.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Certainly, you can drop the trans without disturbing the clutch. The only part where the hydraulics come into play, is when you have the trans off the bellhousing, pull it back just enough and unbolt the 2 10mm bolts holding the slave cylinder to the front of the trans, and pull the slave/TO bearing assembly off the input shaft. Or before you remove the trans, disconnect the hydraulic line from the slave, where it enters the transmission on the driver's side. Its a quick disconnect type, so you can either use the tool which will take 2 seconds, or press the ring with a couple flathead screwdrivers. Then you can remove the trans with the slave attached.

If you're going to do the drill mod though, then obviously you will be removing the hydraulics and have to bleed the master.

In any event though, you can remove the trans without touching the clutch.