Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Step by step Shifter Removal for Corvette Owners

Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Step by step Shifter Removal for Corvette Owners

This will be a thread that will be referred to in "Removing the Engine From a Corvette, Step-By-Step" in the ls1/ls6 internals forum.

1 - Remove the three Torx 15 screws holding the ashtray.

2 - Pop the two nut closeouts at the rear of the console with a pick and remove the two 10mm nuts holding the console.

3 - Pop the console out by pulling upwards and slide the console over the shifter.

4 - Remove the three Torx 40 Bolts holding the shifter down on top of the transmission.

5 - Wiggle the shifter at the rear of the shaft to release it. Now pull the whole assembly out.

The pictures below the step are an example and an example only for completing the step. This is just for stock shifter removal and replacement. For replacement just reverse the steps. I will add another post for an after-market short throw shifter to this thread as well as another thread for f-body stock shifter removal and short-throw shifter instalation very soon.

I am also working on a step-by-step engine removal guide as well for the f-bodies, corvettes and full-size trucks. Check my other threads for these and if I can help anyone in any way, let me know.

Thanks to all who supplied pictures.

If anything is inaccurate please let me know.

Last edited by 2000_LS1; 07-26-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:33 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will this work for an 07 Z06 ?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed step 3A there are three torx screws holding the transmission shifter cover. Two are in the ashtray(which has to be removed) area and one is next to the steering column.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step by step Shifter Removal for Corvette Owners