Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Are these symptoms of a clutch dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are these symptoms of a clutch dying?

I have a 2000 Z28 with all the bolt-ons and 61k miles. I have made possibly 20 track passes on it total, but none for a year or two. Recently on a 300 mile drive I stopped for some food and when I came out I started my car then the idle dropped to around 500rpm and started vibrating and rattling. As I put the car in first and slowly took off this continued until I got going about 10 miles an hour where it suddenly jolted and started behaving normally.

Its been a couple days since this happned and its continuing to do it. It mostly does it when I am stopped at a light and taking off in 1st and 2nd gear, but not always does this happen. Today at a stoplight the idle was so choppy that I thought it was going to stall. Like I said, it does not always do this but it seems to be happening more often now.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

That don't sound like a clutch issue, it sounds like an air/fuel problem. Have any codes been thrown?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

no codes have been thrown.

I was browsing around and heard some people having problems with their clutch after their car warmed up. They said that it was fixed by updating there hydraulics.

In this thread http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=235018 someone said "Mine has been doing this for literally 2 years and my clutch doesnt slip at all. The clutch is great and smooth in all other gears, and grabs immediatly. Just getting the car rolling after its warmed up is exactly as you describe."

This seems to be right on in my situation as well. I can gun it in 4th gear and not have any clutch slippage but when my car is warmed up it often has the vibrations and rattling when going from a stop.