Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia install finally completed!!! (Yes I bled the clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool Textralia install finally completed!!! (Yes I bled the clutch)

Well I finally finished the install. I had a hard time bleeding the system as you all may of known. My entire system was filled with air so I had to start from scratch. I started by pumping fluid UP into the system through the quick disconnect. I figured this would force the air out of the resevoir as I pumped. Once that was done I plugged it back into the slave cylinder and pumped the clutch. The pedal wasnt dead anymore so I knew I was on the right track. Then I went and bought a Mity Vac style pump. No one carried the Mity Vac so I bought a similar one. I started pumping out through the resevoir and sure enough air came out. Not just small bubbles, BIG ones that were like up to 1" long inside the tube. I bled it about 10 times until bubbles stopped coming up.

I was relieved when I started the car and it went into the gear. I thought I didnt have reverse because I was pulling down instead of up... thats how long it has been since I drove the car. There was a TON of chatter on the first take off, but it died down on every shift. The clutch is SOFT SOFT SOFT!!! Its softer than stock. When I think about it, the clutch is softer than any other clutch I've ever driven in my life. Its feels really funny to drive. I think I need to bleed it more. Anyways, it is easier to drive than stock. The engagement point is very early, about two inches off the floor. It slices through the gears like butter as someone else put it. I only put about 4 miles on it so I cant say too much about it yet, but I like it so far.

I can't wait to get it on the dyno and see if it holds the power.

Thanks Textralia!!!!

7/24/05: Here are some pics from the install.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 07-24-2005 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome, glad everything is finally working well for ya.

My Textralia is also very soft - the Textralia guys, who have been extremely helpful, said it is the nature of it, should feel like stock. But I think mine might be a little softer than stock. What I'd advise, and what I'm doing, is once a weekend for about a month after the install, hook up the mityvac again and let it pull for about 20 minutes or so, and see if there's anymore air. I kept getting a couple air bubbles here and there that would get pulled out in the days after I finished the install. When you drive it around for a little bit it might dislodge some small bubbles leftover in the system.

Mine still feels soft, which I don't mind, but I just want to be sure the hydraulics are up to snuff before I go racing, so I'll find out once I rip off some WOT redline shifts, but still have another ~300 miles of break in to go. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2005, 05:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Good info. I just ordered the Textralia clutch today. Hoping it's worth the crap-ton of money I just spent on it
Old 07-24-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got about 50 miles on it now. Its really nice to drive a clutch with a light pedal. I gave it a little gas in 2nd and it seemed to hold well. No hard shifting yet. I want to get at least 200 miles on it before I romp the clutch. I am going to keep bleeding the system to see if I can get anymore bubbles out.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pedal was shitty after installing the setup on my Tex clutch, pretty soft, and engagement was right off the floor!

..So I just took out the brand new stock master I had installed and bench bled the **** out of it with the Mityvac using this method: http://www.salug.org/~davidm/clutchbleed/

Props to Buschman for making that tutorial!!!!!! I havent installed the MC back into the car yet but I can tell from all the AIR I extracted that it is going to be better. Now that the master is bled so well I am afraid of hooking it to the slave because I dont want to introduce air into it. What would be a good way to bleed the slave before hooking up the master? I have another master cyl I could hook up to it and force fluid through it? I will do a search too...
Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good luck with that, let me know how it works out. I am not sure how to bleed the slave alone. I'd imagine just pumping up with fluid through the quick disconnect with the bleeder open would do it.

I added a few pics I took of the install.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Good luck with that, let me know how it works out. I am not sure how to bleed the slave alone. I'd imagine just pumping up with fluid through the quick disconnect with the bleeder open would do it.

I added a few pics I took of the install.
Now you need to remove that part in your sig that says 'slipping clutch' cause I highly doubt you will slip it with that power...it is supposed to hold 700 and I know they have put it up to as much as 1000ft/lbs
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bled the system again today. Got out quite a few more big bubbles. Now the clutch is a little harder than stock, the way it should be. The soft clutch didn't feel right at all. The engagement also got a little bit later, which leads me to believe that I wasn't getting the full motion of the slave before, which is very bad for the clutch and tranny. I will continue to bleed the clutch for weeks to come. I am loving this clutch so far. I can't wait to get some miles on it so I can rip through the gears
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I bled the system again today. Got out quite a few more big bubbles. Now the clutch is a little harder than stock, the way it should be. The soft clutch didn't feel right at all. The engagement also got a little bit later, which leads me to believe that I wasn't getting the full motion of the slave before, which is very bad for the clutch and tranny. I will continue to bleed the clutch for weeks to come. I am loving this clutch so far. I can't wait to get some miles on it so I can rip through the gears
After days of bleeding and bleeding the brand new stock master cylinder I just bench bled the Mcleod I had and put that in and now it works awesome...pedal pressure is very nice from the very top and engagement is wherever I want it to be. I can make it engage almost anywhere throughout the pedal travel...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/356379-anyone-having-soft-pedal-textralia.html