Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Flywheel / Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flywheel / Clutch

Hi all, just installed the TPIS single mass flywheel / clutch assembly this weekend and had a question. Is a little burning smell okay, normal at first after installation of a new clutch and flywheel? When I first cranked the car it smoked for about 2 minutes. After crawling all over the car and ruling out any leaks I figured it was either the header wrap burning in or the clutch ( I also installed headers at the same time). After a bit, I decided it was the clutch. I took her for a spin around the block and after a few miles the smoke / dust was gone and only a little of the smell remained. It didn't feel as if the clutch was slipping at all. A couple more short trips around town and the smell got better with each passing mile driven (less) but it's still there. What do you guys think? Pull it back apart to look at it or let it go for another day to see if it improves. What's the worst that happens, I burn up the clutch? I've installed one other clutch before and don't remember it doing this. I followed the directions although now I am a little suspect of the torque wrench I used to tighten down the clutch. If I didn't torque the clutch to the flywheel high enough, would that cause the clutch to slip, thus the burning smell?

Thanks

Last edited by Texan V; 07-24-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burning clutch has a very unique smell. Mine had some burning too, but it was just some brake fluid in the bellhousing and on the header.