Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Am I using the Mity Vac incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Am I using the Mity Vac incorrectly?

I finished my clutch install the other day and I am bleeding the clutch after almost every drive because the clutch is abnormally soft, so I think I still have air in the system, and as a result, the clutch isnt fully disengaging. Anyways, I use the pencil fitting and shove it in the hole in the bottom of a resevoir. I pump up the vac to about 16psi, thats as high as it will go. Of course fluid starts to come up into the tube. I've bled the system so many times air isn't coming up on its own anymore. So here is where I am wondering if I am doing this wrong. I decided to try pumping the clutch while there was a vaccum on the system with the Mity Vac. Sure enough large bubbles came up out of the system. Am I actually working air out or just introducing more air into the system through the master cylinder by pumping it? After I do this the clutch doesn't seem to get any harder.

Clutch bleeding experts, am I doing this wrong?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, pump the pedal with the vacuum on. I'll do a couple of long strokes, a few 1/2 strokes, a few 1/4 strokes. (sounds like having sex ) Hold the pedal to the floor, hold it 1/2 way down, a lot of different variables. It's amazing how much more air you get of the system by varying the pedal strokes. You are using a closed loop hose setup with the little container 1/2 fluid of fluid right? You really shouldn't be getting a lot fluid coming through unless you are using to small of a "pencil" adapter. I've left the vacuum attached overnight a few times too. Several evenings of this procedure cleared up my spongy pedal. Have you seen this site?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/buschm...utchbleed.html
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not alot of fluid comes through the line. The line is so long the fluid coming out of the system doesnt even make it to the Mity Vac resevoir. I am doing this on the car BTW, not a bench bleed.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you making sure to have some fluid in the line before you stick it in the hole at the bottom of the reservoir? If you don't have fluid in the line, you are probably just letting the air back in the system when you release the pressure from the mityvac.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

What I do is let the pressure out until the fluid in the Mity Vac line gets close to the resevoir, which is about 2psi, then I clamp the hose off and pull it out. The little bit of vaccum thats left in the system pulls down some new fluid from the clutch resevoir. I am not letting any air back into the system.

Quick Reply: Am I using the Mity Vac incorrectly?