Old 07-27-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clutch sticks at high RPM ONLY

Clutch setup:

Spec 3
McLeod adjustable Master
McLeod stainless line wrapped with heat sheathing
Motul RBF600 DOT4 racing brake fluid (wet boiling point 421F)

The problem:

UP TO about 7000 the clutch works like a dream (can do repeated WOT 1st through 4th gear runs to 6500RPM back to back NO PROBLEM)......

at about 7000RPM the clutch WILL NOT RELEASE (can't shift....disk locked to the flywheel....)....

the peddle IS NOT soft in the least bit and as soon as I let the RPM drop down to the 6500RPM range the clutch will release and I can shift like nothing ever happened......it IS NOT heat (not boiling fluid) as the problem is directly related to RPM....when the clutch sticks I can drop 500 RPM, make my shift, and if I then stay BELOW 7000RPM for the remaining gears (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) the clutch works....

I have pulled the clutch and checked the flywheel (Spec aluminum), the disk, and the pressure plate. They show no signs of heat fatigue or damage in any way.....

My Thoughts:

Diaphragm spring + high RPM = no good?

has anyone else run into an RPM related non-release problem with a diaphram clutch (know it happens but want some first hand info)...

I'm thinking of converting over to a Borg and Beck pressure plate (RPM goal is about 7800-8000).......yes/no?

this is pissing me off......
Old 07-29-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Clutch setup:

Spec 3
McLeod adjustable Master
McLeod stainless line wrapped with heat sheathing
Motul RBF600 DOT4 racing brake fluid (wet boiling point 421F)

The problem:

UP TO about 7000 the clutch works like a dream (can do repeated WOT 1st through 4th gear runs to 6500RPM back to back NO PROBLEM)......

at about 7000RPM the clutch WILL NOT RELEASE (can't shift....disk locked to the flywheel....)....

the peddle IS NOT soft in the least bit and as soon as I let the RPM drop down to the 6500RPM range the clutch will release and I can shift like nothing ever happened......it IS NOT heat (not boiling fluid) as the problem is directly related to RPM....when the clutch sticks I can drop 500 RPM, make my shift, and if I then stay BELOW 7000RPM for the remaining gears (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) the clutch works....

I have pulled the clutch and checked the flywheel (Spec aluminum), the disk, and the pressure plate. They show no signs of heat fatigue or damage in any way.....

My Thoughts:

Diaphragm spring + high RPM = no good?

has anyone else run into an RPM related non-release problem with a diaphram clutch (know it happens but want some first hand info)...

I'm thinking of converting over to a Borg and Beck pressure plate (RPM goal is about 7800-8000).......yes/no?

this is pissing me off......
All I can think of, is to ask if you've done the drill mod, and if not, give it a try. At this point I might considier looking at your slave in the Tranny and see if anything looks out of whack.

Quick Reply: clutch sticks at high RPM ONLY