Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it the Master Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the Master Cylinder?

I just got my Tranny Rebuilt, all synchros change out and ball bearings and what not... Anyways, in 3rd gear, sometimes I cannot get in without grinding the **** outta it, and sometimes when it is in gear, no matter how hard I press on the clutch it will not release... I let the mechanic who worked on the Tranny drive it and he said that he is pretty sure its not the synchros -- but that he thinks that its the master cylinder-- then I read and know about this drill mod -- but I'm double checking that you all (current readers) agree that it could be the master...?? Lemme know ---
Old 08-01-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

having the same problem, 3rd gear on mine also. Just started about 4 days ago. But mine is opposite, mine never stays in gear it always jumps out. Im guessing mine is the synchros.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read several articles about the drill mod on the master cylinder hose fixing hard 2 to 3 shifts, I just bought a new master cylinder from GM parts direct and I will be doing the drill mod. I think you should try it. they say the restrictor in the line is for softer shifts by GM , but it really interferes for high rpm race shifting. They even talk about it in the new Pontiac performance mag this month, in the article about the clutch install they do.