Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my tranny on borrowed time? (kind of long)

Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is my tranny on borrowed time? (kind of long)

A little bit of background first:
I've owned the car for about a year now and have put 6000 miles on it (one good thing about living on an island). It now has 93k miles on it. Previous owner had a Mcleod clutch and adj master installed and did the drill mod three months before I bought the car. Mechanic that did the work mistakenly put synthetic tranny fluid in (car has paper lined synchros). After the correct non-synth fluid was put in the trans would grind on aggressive 1-2 shifts (not during normal driving though).

Now for the most recent developments:
I have taken the car to the track twice in the past few months (total of 15 passes at most) and it would almost always grind on the 1-2 shift and occasionally lock out of 4th. During those passes my clutch pedal would also hit the floor and refuse to come up on it's own.
This past weekend while on the fwy (driving normally) I shifted from 5th to 6th and the trans popped out of 6th gear. Shifted back into 5th and then tried 6th and got a short grind before it would engage. When first starting the car in the morning I've also noticed my clutch pedal would feel very soft. It would engage / disengage very close to the carpet. It would go back to normal after driving a few miles and pumping the clutch pedal.

Now I know these two issues aren't directly related, but is this a sign my trans is about to die? Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out this link and read it, it could help you as to why the gears may pop out or grind. It should answer your question. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/359369-help-4th-gear.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is my tranny on borrowed time? (kind of long)