Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What does this sound like to you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does this sound like to you?

Ok, two weeks ago I had a local shop change the rear end gears on my car. Well a week later I started to hear a slight hum in 6th and 5th between 1200-1800 rpms. After that point it seems to go away... not sure if its just my exhaust drowning out the sound. The sound is relative to the rpms of the car, and when I push the clutch in it goes away. I would definitely not describe the sound as a howl. The sound distinctly comes from the rear, and center of the car.

I contacted the shop and they said they will look at it this weekend ( a great bunch of guys), but they seem to think it sounds like a Throw Out Bearing just from my description, and the fact it goes away when I push the clutch in. I dont seem to have any of the problems associated with a bad TOB, so Im not so sure thats what it is. The car makes no other noises associated with a bad TOB at any speed, car shifts pretty good, not grinding of the gears or anything. Im not second guessing the shop, they haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, they are going to look at it this weekend.... just wanted to hear what others thought.

If it does happen to be TOB related, I am just going to go ahead and replace the parts myself as well as replace the clutch, PP, and flywheel, and Pilot bearing (possibly to a pilot bushing). My goals for the car is a modest 400rwhp at most, maybe more in the far future when the car becomes a garage queen..... do you think that the OEM Z06 Clutch setup from SDPC would suffice? I do realize that the 01's already have the clutch... but since the tranny is going to be out anyway... might as well save me future work.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts?

Quick Reply: What does this sound like to you?